Brake Line Replacement HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flip01002003

Reaction score
Good morning all. I'm new to the group and haven't found anything searching through the forum, so I'm posting new! I love my 05 Expedition EB Edition, but she can be problematic. This time, we are talking brake lines.

So both of my front brake lines rusted holes through them in the last 3 weeks. So I replaced the line from the ABS module to the front driver side, but now I'm working on the line from the ABS to the front passenger side.

As most of us know, the line is ran pretty crazily, around hoses and around the frame. I was wondering how to remove this line. I got the replacement from a junk yard and I want to be able to remove the old line in one piece so I know how the new line can go in.

Please let me know if this is even possible. I'm confident it can be done, I just need to hear from someone who has done it before!

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your talking a steelie right? Just remember when the truck was built the line was installed with nothing in the way to to ease installation. If you removed the line yourself then you should know how it came out. You should be able to remove the line with some effort. Tools suggestions for removal could be hack blade, Steel line cutter, screwdrivers, socket (if need for brackets), small bolt cutters. Most shops would leave the old line in and install what's needed to make the repair or install a new line following it. Me I would pull it (if time is not an issue). As far installing a Junk Yard brake line not to sure about that, it's the same age as the one that just rotted on yours and will rot sooner than later.

OP
OP
F

flip01002003

Reaction score
So I already have the line disconnected, I'm currently just trying to figure out how to remove the line without cutting it so I can do as you said, install the new line the same way I took the old one out. The junk yard brake line is in immaculate condition. Mine is all rusted out (I'm in Louisiana, but my truck came from Maryland, so mine has rust while all the vehicles from the junk yard are rust free). The line is beyond repair at this point, unless I just throw some JB weld over the rust spot, but I'm not about that life lol. There has to be a way to remove the line and install the new one!!

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was in my shop I would just cut the brake line in half at a logical point and remove it. Purchase new bendable brake lines the approximate length and a union. Bend half the new lines using the old ones as a pattern. install both halves and connect with the union. Unless you can get it all in there in one piece without the union, I have done both depending.

And it also helps to have a tube flaring kit and the knowledge to use it but you don't if you use the method I described.

Bleed brakes and be happy

this is how its usually done

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flip01002003

Reaction score
If you tell me it's possible to do it in one piece, I can work with that. Can you tell me what the best way to do that is though? Lol

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I already told you

cut it in half and make the new one in 2 pieces like any repair shop would do. I worked in one 20 years so I know a little about it

Jimdar

Reaction score
Replace the line with new copper alloy tubing. Super easy to bend without kinks. You will need a flare kit however. I replaced all the lines on my truck for about $140 including tools, fittings, and spring shields.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you dont need a flare kit if you buy already made up brake lines in the proper approximate length and a union to connect

available at any parts store

dogman

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of replacing my brake lines on my 06 expedition. I can recommend the nickle copper alloy brake line. Its great to work with. I also wrapped much of it with the stainless steel coil for protection from road debris. I bought a Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool. Works great in tight spaces on the truck. I haven't tackled the front right yet but all is well so far.