Brown Wire Mod: How To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaz8772

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many amps actually run through that wire???

I sincerely doubt that it is anywhere near 30a running in what looks like 14 gauge in the pictures.

I ask, as I would love to use a small latching push button switch on the dash for this. But switches able to handle 30a are much larger and uglier than I really want.

You could use the low current rated switch to run a 30A relay in either case. Just use the switch to provide ground on either 85 or 86 and fused 12v to the other, then connect the two ends of the brown wire to 30 and 87A (the middle connection). This will connect the wire together when the switch energizes the relay.

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could use the low current rated switch to run a 30A relay in either case. Just use the switch to provide ground on either 85 or 86 and fused 12v to the other, then connect the two ends of the brown wire to 30 and 87A (the middle connection). This will connect the wire together when the switch energizes the relay.

I realize that I could do that. I'm not sold on the idea of adding another layer of electrical stuff to troubleshoot in case of problems. Like I said though, I really doubt there is anywhere near 30a running through that wire. That is alot of 12v DC current to be going through there.

bbiljah

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you just want to cut the wire underneath and tape it, what one do you cut?

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Either wire in the first two pictures will do. They're he same one, just on either side of the connector at the shift motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbiljah

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I cut it, felt like I was in a movie about to defuse a bomb LOL I looked away and counted to 3 LOL

Pedition2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What if I don't want to retain the AWD feature but keep 4HI and 4LO, do I just clip the wire and leave out the switch part?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk