Brown Wire Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trippn01

Reaction score
sorry for stepping in,i feel a little lost in this subject...but wouldnt removing the fuse have the same effect,without any cutting of wires?

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dont apologize...lookin for any input. i would imagine that pulling the fuse would have the same effect. just looking at all of my options. i want 4h and 4l but want 2wd as well. dont want awd. might just pull the fuse this weekend at the beach and see how she does pullin the jet skis out of the water without AWD.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
damn i love having 2wd! haha sry to those who dont. but if ur talking about fiesta. not a problem. ive pulled trucks out of there in 2wd all the time. our weight helps a little by adding traction when pulling on that fiesta sand. havent gotten stuck there... well... haha mud isnt good. anyways ive pulled out trucks there. end of story.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well im gonna back the truck in the water with the ski's and try punching it out of the water. i wanna see if i can get no help from awd with the fuse removed. i had 2wd option in my 98 and i sure do miss it. cant stand this AWD shit.

ghettoracer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am kinda lost on this topic also, what is the point of taking off your AWD just for a few mpg? I mean I live in an area where it snows and rains and find it extremely helpful when the ground is slick....just kinda curious.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well the awd is for the rain. it was developed by ford for better rain traction. wht it dose is activate the transfer case almost like a 4x4 but instead of sending the power to the front and back it sends it to either front or back when slippage is detected. and here in san diego where it rains once in a winter 2wd is great. plus in sand its super funn to throw dirt everywhere. like on fiesta island or the desert.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
GHETTO, im not doing this for mpg. like i said before, i didnt buy an expy for gas mileage. i want 2wd cuz i cant stand the AWD and i dont need it. if anyone needs AWD in san diego, its because THEY CANT DRIVE!!!! i grew up in the midwest so i understand the need of AWD there. but i dont live there anymore so i dont want it...

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was looking through my owners manual and it says that fuse 104 is for the 4x4 shift something or other. so to me, if i pull that fuse, im not gonna be able to use 4x4. sound correct?

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
GHETTO, im not doing this for mpg. like i said before, i didnt buy an expy for gas mileage. i want 2wd cuz i cant stand the AWD and i dont need it. if anyone needs AWD in san diego, its because THEY CANT DRIVE!!!! i grew up in the midwest so i understand the need of AWD there. but i dont live there anymore so i dont want it...

Mostly true... but the streety are very slippery in San Diego when it rains, and I always wish I had AWD when driving on wet roads. If I floor it on a wet road the expedition slides all over the place and I can barely keep it in a straight line.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a little off topic. anyone ever hydroplane their expedition? i did over by mcrd under that bridge threw the tunnel doin about 55. i scared the shit oput of my cuz but since im good at controling my truck i saved it and didnt over steer or under steer. that time i wish i was in awd. but i have nvr hydroplaned her other then that cause of the awd. like today after that random thunderstorm there were a few accidents from the wet. its cause zoners dont know have to drive in cali. and if it sprinkles they slam on the brakes and loose grip. but yeah awd is good and bad. 2wd is great for SD in the dry then awd is great when it dose rain. o and pulling the fuse... it dose seem like that would work. maybe go to fiesta pull it and then floor it. see wht tires spin. try switching it into 4x4 and see wht happens. if it all works then its good if not put the fuse back.