Brown Wire Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionDrew

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All i did was pull the #104 fuse and what do ya know...i can now do a burnout....not that's all i wanted to do.....but driving afterwords for about an hour i did notice a 1.5-2 mpg gain through my OBDII reader...although i cant really tell any difference in acceleration. But i think eventually i will put in a toggle switch once winter gets closer.

99-4wd

Reaction score
i just removed the front drive shaft. to me the trucks rides so much smoother and i can also make a smooth u turn without the binding feeling. :)

highly recommended, if u dont need 4 wheel drive. i only use it in the winter anyway.

Bart Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's alot of work when you can just pull a fuse or cut the brown wire, plus there shouldn't be any binding when you make a turn no matter how tight the turn is! Unless you transfer case is in gauging

99-4wd

Reaction score
Its actually not alot of work at all prerty easy and straight forward.

markanthony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To sum up the thread.

Brown wire mod: all this does is kill the power from the computer to the clutches, so that it will not engage the awd or a4wd. There still is power being applied from the transfer case to the front end, but not enough to do anything. There should not be any front wheel pull when the truck is on the ground. With a switch installed. There is total control with out getting out to put in hubs, or replace a fuse.

Hubs (manual or automatic) driveline pull: If you can find a set of hubs for our trucks. All these do is disengage at the wheel. NOT THE TRANSFER CASE. the complete front axle assembly will still turn. At this point you have MPG loss due to having to pull the system To pull the drive line. There is quite a bit of work to get it done. then there is installing it when it is needed again. For me. I like to have the front drive line there. even if it is just turning and not really doing anything.

pulling the fuse: ALL THIS DOES IS COMPLETELY DISENGAGE THE TRANSFER CASE. YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY 4WD HI OR LO. ONLY 2WD. This just kills the power to and from the case.

I feel it would be a better deal to install a switch to the brown wire, then to anything else. It does not seem to be very difficult. It can be done under the car with out removing to much. The choice is there to just cut and cap, remove, or install a switch. keeping in mind that when the truck is off the ground. The front tires will turn. The system will still turn when driving. But their will be not be enough to turn the tires. I would assume that this can or could wear out the magnetic/electric clutches for the awd drive with slippage. I can not say for sure. just seems logical that something there would wear with the brown wire cut.

I have not done this to mine yet. I have pulled the fuse for research. I will attempting to this mod this weekend. I will to a full write up with pics and post it up for everyone on Monday..

I hope this helps future readers. Sometimes it helps to have all sides listed on one page to read or understand.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I have an AWD...I get NO binding on turns at all...I thought I read here that the AWD really don't kick in unless it feels slippage...or like hydroplaning...MPG shouldn't change either way....I admit I bought as it was posted as a 4x4...it didn't say anything about AWD..but Im glad I have it...

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
awd sucks... sorry, thats why I bought a 97 instead of 99+. I LOVE doing donuts and tearing Sh*t up in places im not rly supposed to be (illegal wheeling)

pooleo8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
meh, to many pages to read thru. :p I have done the mod. The thing I hated was the truck deciding when to lock in, it almost caused a roll over the first winter, trying to correct, then it locks up. Bad deal. Anyhow, I just went down to the T-case, snipped the wire. Left enough room to hook it back up if needed. Best 4 sec mod ever.

spt87a

Reaction score
Disable A4WD = much improved tire life

I've run my '99 Expedition for years with the 4wd system fuse pulled. Originally I did this because it started acting up - it would engage the front wheels 100% of the time and only stop once I hit 35mph when the sytem would error out and disable itself. This would only last until the next trip (engine shutoff then restarted).

For a long time I assumed there was a bad speed sensor so I just lived with it as is and would put the fuse in those times I wanted 4HI or LO. Now I suspect the trouble may have been caused by not replacing all 4 tires at once so the difference in tire diameter was causing the problem.

The big benefit I noticed after running with the fuse pulled is my front tire life dramatically increased. Prior to that I was only getting 20K or so out of the front tires before they were cupped. So either my A4WD was misbehaving from the time this Expedition was brand new or this system is just not quite ready for prime time.

Anyway - I'm going to give this brown wire mod a shot so I don't have to mess with the fuse anymore to use 4hi or lo.

I doubt the brown wire mod will cause any excessive wearing of the clutches. If the default is to send 5% power to the front - that is likely with 0 electical power applied to the clutches so disconencting the fuse/brown wire is just preventing that percentage from being increased. My 3-4 year run with the fuse pulled hasn't resulted in any transfer case issues so I think that is a pretty solid test (221,000 miles on this vehicle so far).

FloorIt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the brown wire mod prior to installing my 37" tires and have not noticed any adverse affects.