Bug Shield or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2007 exp has "bubbles" in the front of the hood. Im considering to repaint, but a quick fix would be to attach a "bug shield" of plastic. Chrome or smoked, which will suite my car best?
Any experiences? I haven't seen any examples myself IRL

73381_3991340641974_673091474_n.jpg

PS the grill has lost some chrome and I am replacing it with new chromed one with vertical ribs and without the Ford emblem. Is that a blaspheme? :D DS

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anders

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldnt resist and ordered this one:
$T2eC16d,!yUE9s6NFmHRBR(8f1w80Q~~60_12.jpg
Hopefully it doesn't ruin the look too much...

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would go smoked any day. I have a smoked one on mine. I had to take it off for like a week because the bolts all fell out, and the truck looked crappy without it.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree , that looks good. I may put one on ours also because of the love bugs. I am irritated about the grill on ours also because I realized the Ford emblem is peeling horribly. It is just over a year old and looks horrible. I like the grill itself but if someone looks close at the emblem - they can definitely see it.

OP
OP
Anders

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree , that looks good. I may put one on ours also because of the love bugs. I am irritated about the grill on ours also because I realized the Ford emblem is peeling horribly. It is just over a year old and looks horrible. I like the grill itself but if someone looks close at the emblem - they can definitely see it.

My emblem has lost its colors and the surface looks wrinkled (winter and salt takes its toll here in Sweden...)
I also like the original grille with four slots, but I will test the vertical oem.
It was much cheaper than an Ford emblem + grille. And hopefully also good looking! Will post a pic when its mounted.

Last edited:

scrappydoo

Reaction score
I have the same bubbling problem. I was also considering a repaint but my neighbor suggested trying the bug shield first. I repaired the bubbles and used an AVS Aeroshield. It's low profile and requires no drilling. It works with double sided sticky tape and it looks fantastic. I figured if it screwed it up more I would get it repainted like I had originally planned. It's been on about a month and so far it's been great. I got the dark smoke because my truck is black. I'll try to post a pic later today or tomorrow if anyone wants to see it.

OP
OP
Anders

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same bubbling problem. I was also considering a repaint but my neighbor suggested trying the bug shield first. I repaired the bubbles and used an AVS Aeroshield. It's low profile and requires no drilling. It works with double sided sticky tape and it looks fantastic. I figured if it screwed it up more I would get it repainted like I had originally planned. It's been on about a month and so far it's been great. I got the dark smoke because my truck is black. I'll try to post a pic later today or tomorrow if anyone wants to see it.
Please do! I haven't seen a pic with a black truck and bug shield yet!

Norexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hei Anders

Jeg eier en Expedition 2004 modell. Den er blå, og jeg har en slik smoked bug shield. Ser veldig bra ut på bilen.

Håper du er fornøyd med bilen din. Vanskelig å få utført service her i Norge, men kanskje bedre i Sverige?

OP
OP
Anders

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Scrappydoo, the shield as good as I hoped it would! Hope mine will give the same impression.
Now I just have to wait for my parcel to cross the Atlantic sea :)

Noerxp: Im very pleased with the car, one thing though i have a leakage at the transmission cooler tubing that will be fixed tomorrow. I have an local tech that provide service for US cars. Iif anything more complicated has been done, then there are a firm in Stockholm that import spareparts and perform full service.

Last edited: