Bumper decision time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
unfortunately not the "what kind of badass custom bumper should I get" decision.

A little over a year ago I was a ******* while trying to install some auxiliary backup lights in my rear bumper. I made some templates for the hole cutouts, I measured where to put them so they'd be even, I started drilling and cutting into the bumper........ THEN I looked on the backside of the bumper. That's when I discovered some significant structure just behind where I was trying to put the lights.

Since then I've been left with this:
55055812-6C4D-4B97-94BE-99BB725909E1.jpg

The rust streaks are getting bad and there's nothing I can do about the cuts and holes.

Today I went to the junkyard and got a clean, straight replacement.
873B9400-56B4-4F78-97B2-E7E95FD624C5.jpg

Now the question:
Polish up the chrome and keep the factory look?
OR
Prep the bumper really well for paint?

Here's my truck for those that aren't familiar:
5D8F873B-046F-4C37-8562-019C8BBE702E.jpg

The obvious choice is to paint it black. But if I do that, I'll also have to paint the front. And why stop there- also paint the trim. I'm not opposed to any of that but I don't want it to look like poo in a little while- rock chips on all the leading edges and whatnot. What's the best way to prep a chrome bumper for paint? What about the trim?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sand it, then paint?

Or just wrap it in black vinyl

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice looking truck. If it was mine, I'd leave them chrome, followed by painting them beige. I've just seen too many murdered-out everythings to get impressed anymore. Correcting what the sun has done to the running boards is going to make the biggest improvement IMO.

Too bad you bought the new bumper, I would have sent you a couple of bumper stickers. One says Pittsburgh, the other Steelers... ;)

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm on the side of the fence favoring the chrome.

I’m not a huge fan of chrome but I fear going the “murdered out” look opens up too many opportunities to make it look bad.

Chrome don’t get ya home, but I guess chrome is classic. And my truck ain’t no spring chicken anymore.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Mine had the painted ones. The front stone chipped and rear rusted around plate lamps. I switched to chrome and they still look great. The chrome bumpers were an upgrade with the Eddie Bauer package. Only the lower end models had painted. The plastic top cover on rear is fragile to remove. If you snap a tab, it will be flopping around. I resprayed mine. The front bumper has a complicated top and bottom plastic pieces. You don't want to open a can of worms, messing with old plastic. Mine is missing a 2 of the 14 fasteners on the front lower. Breaking anymore would of been a nightmare. Throw the chrome on. Wax it once in a while, you will be fine.

Last edited:

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another vote for chrome, but I would paint the cover

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
If i had your truck I'd Paint the chrome part black but leave the beige alone... I think that'll look best

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360