Busted Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexNorton74

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The AC in my expy hasn't worked for a while now. Managed to get all through last summer without it but now I have the money to get it fixed. Started by refilling it with r134a and noticed a leak under the car. Got under there to inspect it and sure enough the compressor is completely demolished. Somehow something managed to hit it hard enough to take a huge chunk out of the side. Hopefully this is the only issue and replacing it will fix it. My question is, how hard is it to replace? Thanks in advance!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks a recent explosion since the insides & casting edges are clean compared to other nearby components. There is probably a blockage in the orifice tube that allowed the high side pressure to exceed the design limit. The safety was supposed to lift but didn't, next weakest link in the chain did.
I've seen the high side hit 425 psi and was still climbing while I was scrambling to pull the gauges off. Old farts can move fast at times.....

OP
OP
AlexNorton74

AlexNorton74

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks a recent explosion since the insides & casting edges are clean compared to other nearby components. There is probably a blockage in the orifice tube that allowed the high side pressure to exceed the design limit. The safety was supposed to lift but didn't, next weakest link in the chain did.
I've seen the high side hit 425 psi and was still climbing while I was scrambling to pull the gauges off. Old farts can move fast at times.....
So should I be good as long as I replace the compressor or will it need other parts also?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Inspect the orifice tube, that will give you an indication if there is trash in the rest of the system. Post a pic when you have it out. Once you know the systems condition you can generate a parts list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexNorton74

AlexNorton74

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations for a new compressor? I see some that have rear air and some that say without rear air. I really can't afford to take it to a shop because I know they will charge a ridiculous amount so diy is really my only option

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The minimum you are going to need is a vacuum pump, gauge set, flush kit, compressor & clutch, receiver drier and pag oil.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up a whole kit with receiver dryer, expansion valves, and orings on Rock Auto for just over $200, same brand as my local Auto Value. I've got a guy who will do the install for me, since I don't have access to any AC tools. I'm curious how much work it is myself, because if I can pay somebody to just evacuate and recharge I'll probably be way ahead, dollar wise.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk