Busted Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdbayy1

Reaction score
My 97 comp clutch rusted out, like everything else. Comp was a PITA to get to, but doable. Replaced the rear AC valve (If you have rear A/C, the inline filters, and O rings. They all came with the kit. My buddy is a mechanic for fleet vehicles for the government. All they do is flush out all the lines with brake cleaner, blow them out real good with compressed air (supposed to use nitrogen, but they don't) put it all back together using A/C oil for the O rings. They only flush them if the system blows or was sitting around broke and contaminated. My new comp. had oil in it already. I did all that, took it to him and he vacuumed it down for a long ass time to get all the moisture out of the lines from the compressed air, then charged it. I gave him 50.00 and paid for the 134a.
I guess it took me like 4 hours. Been working like a champ quiet too and cold as a witches tit! I think I got the kit from Rock, been a couple of years.

Good luck

OP
OP
AlexNorton74

AlexNorton74

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a local shop replace my compressor(with 1 year warranty). They said my condenser had a slow leak, replaced evaporator/dryer and a high pressure line and about 2lbs(they recycled, the other 2lbs) of R-22, cost $920. They marked up the price of the parts and claimed 5.2 hours labor. If you do it yourself and screw it up, you will pay a lot more!
Yeah I took it to the shop yesterday and they quoted me $1,042 to do the whole thing. I had a feeling that's what they would say. I'm heading out for a trip to Florida here in a week and a half so I'm not sure I'll have the time or funds to get it fixed

Jdbayy1

Reaction score
I know what you mean! It really wasn't that bad but I'm a shade tree mechanic and been fixing it for years, well since it was like 5 years old... Can you say rust? LOL I think I got it done for like 300.00.

Have fun in Fl and try not to cook in the truck!

OP
OP
AlexNorton74

AlexNorton74

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks man, we always have a good time. Got a group of 10 going, 6 of us will be in this beast.

IMG_4591.JPG

gears351

Reaction score
I did mine (07), the clutch separated from the rubber isolator. Advance had a 3yr pump/clutch for $175. I took it to a local AC shop, they evacuated the system, I drove it home and changed out the compressor (lying on the floor under the passenger footwell). drove it back to the shop and they charged and checked operation - $79 for their part