Buzzing/siren noise from dash near steering column during cold weather.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcschramm

Reaction score
This noise only occurs at start up during cold weather, below 10 degrees F. As soon as the ignition is on the noise starts. Turning the key further starts the engine and the noise continues with the engine running. If I cycle the starting process a few times the noise goes away, sometimes in a few minutes, sometimes longer. The noise is in the dash above the steering column. The noise ramps up like a siren but has a buzz to it. No check engine light. Everything works fine just the noise is a problem. I have an MP4 video clip of the sound but the file is too large to attach. Any ideas what might cause this?

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 16 does this in extreme cold, I think it's the door chime acting funky cuz of the cold.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This noise only occurs at start up during cold weather, below 10 degrees F. As soon as the ignition is on the noise starts. Turning the key further starts the engine and the noise continues with the engine running. If I cycle the starting process a few times the noise goes away, sometimes in a few minutes, sometimes longer. The noise is in the dash above the steering column. The noise ramps up like a siren but has a buzz to it. No check engine light. Everything works fine just the noise is a problem. I have an MP4 video clip of the sound but the file is too large to attach. Any ideas what might cause this?

What year?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017 Ford Expedition EL XLT ecoboost

There have been several posts for the 2015 - 2017 Expedition models where a sensor in the transmission shifter mechanism assembly has failed, causing the vehicle’s computer to sense the shifter is not in the park position, when it is.

As such, the computer will cause the chime or buzzer to sound, alerting the driver that the shifter is not in park - although it is.

Another symptom of this failure is the chime to sound when the LF door is opened, with the ignition key in the off position and removed.

The shifter sensor failure may occur with extreme low temperatures, but not with warmer temperatures.

Are any of these symptoms present with your vehicle?

OP
OP
D

dcschramm

Reaction score
No buzzing siren sound when LF door is opened with the ignition key in the off position and removed (during cold weather when the buzzing siren sounds when the key is in and in ignition position without starting, and continues when started).

I have noticed on a cold day when the buzzing/siren starts and after it goes away, and on warm days when there is no buzzing/siren sound, you can still here a faint sound similar to a small motor running in the same area of the dash near the steering column that doesn't seem to go away.

Hard to really pin down a pattern because it happen so seldom.

As long as I'm not doing damage to the vehicle or risk getting stuck in a remote area I don't mind dealing the short term annoyance of the buzzing/siren sound.

Anything else in the dash near the steering column other than a door chime that could be making the noise?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No buzzing siren sound when LF door is opened with the ignition key in the off position and removed (during cold weather when the buzzing siren sounds when the key is in and in ignition position without starting, and continues when started).

I have noticed on a cold day when the buzzing/siren starts and after it goes away, and on warm days when there is no buzzing/siren sound, you can still here a faint sound similar to a small motor running in the same area of the dash near the steering column that doesn't seem to go away.

Hard to really pin down a pattern because it happen so seldom.

As long as I'm not doing damage to the vehicle or risk getting stuck in a remote area I don't mind dealing the short term annoyance of the buzzing/siren sound.

Anything else in the dash near the steering column other than a door chime that could be making the noise?

Do you have the automatic temperature control HVAC system?

If so, there is an interior temperature sensor to the right of the steering column, in the dash. It has a small grille opening for it. The sensor has a small fan on some models that runs to pull the interior air across the sensor, to determine the interior temperature (for the HVAC system when used in automatic mode).

Perhaps the cold temperature is causing the miniature fan motor to make the noise you hear?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dcschramm

Reaction score
I have manual climate control. Is it possible the interior temperature sensor is always installed, just not connected to climate control in this case?