Cam timing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

9723VF350

Reaction score
Howdy, new guy here. I just bought a 05 for the wife that does not run. The secondhand story that I got was that someone replaced the chains, and could not get it running after that. I pulled the valve covers, and the chains and guides look new. When I crank it over the drivers side phaser spring winds up and lets out a pretty good snap when it rolls past. I'm guessing this means pistons and valves are not very happy with each other and I'm seeing in in the phaser.
Main question is, is there a way to check timing without pulling the front cover?
I'd like to check that out first, retime if necessary, then do a compression and leak down test to see if I have bent valves.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think there is anyway to verify timing without removing front cover. I'm no expert, but i would do it right the first time and not have to do it again. Bite the bullet and pull the front cover, verify timing and try again.

Best case scenario; you adjusting the chain and all is well.

Worst case scenario; pistons and valves met for a date and overhaul is required.

Good luck!

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Howdy, new guy here. I just bought a 05 for the wife that does not run. The secondhand story that I got was that someone replaced the chains, and could not get it running after that. I pulled the valve covers, and the chains and guides look new. When I crank it over the drivers side phaser spring winds up and lets out a pretty good snap when it rolls past. I'm guessing this means pistons and valves are not very happy with each other and I'm seeing in in the phaser.
Main question is, is there a way to check timing without pulling the front cover?
I'd like to check that out first, retime if necessary, then do a compression and leak down test to see if I have bent valves.

Oops, double post

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easiest route is to pull the cover. Another option prior to that is a compression check on the bank that binds. If the valves are bent you are pulling the front cover anyway.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It always amazes me how many owners think these motors are like the old pushrod 5.0/5.8 engines. Those you just lined up the crank and cam pulleys with number 1 at tdc, and that was it. These motors are not that easy. You might have gotten lucky, but you do need to check compression first. Problem is with that popping noise in timing area, your going to do more damage in their if you don't set everything right. Good chance your going to pull heads. Hopefully you bought your wife's SUV cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

9723VF350

Reaction score
Thank for the help, I pulled the front cover and they had the timing correct. I came to the conclusion the noise was a bad cam phaser. The drivers side would wind up and snap over as valve spring resistance changed. The cam saddles and caps had a little wear on them, along with the mains on the cams. I put new cams, phasers, solenoids, Motorsports oil pump, tensioners, plugs, and lash adjusters in it just because all those parts were due to be replaced. It previously had new guides and chains.

At the end of the day, the reason it wouldn't run is because they forgot to plug the crank sensor in. I discovered this when I was pulling it apart but I felt the need to go deeper and check things out. It runs pretty good, I need to get some fresh gas in it and run it some. It was cheap, I'm into it for a total of $2200 at this point, including the new parts. I'm pretty sure I have this one sold since just bought a spotless southern Limited with engine problems, so when I get into that we'll see what that entails.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you got it running. Considering your going to flip it, you went a little over the top. But the next owner gets a sound motor, at least for now. It always amazes me how many backyard mechanics do an admirable job at something as complex as timing chains, and forget to plug it back in. Good job on your diagnosis and repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

9723VF350

Reaction score
At the time, I didn't intent to flip it, but this other one came up and I offered this to my cousin/next door neighbor very reasonable. Pretty sure he wants it, if not I'll gladly keep it. The limited is spotless and 2wd, so I guess this one with some rocker panel rust would make a good wintertime vehicle.