Can I install a third row seat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shedhorn

Reaction score
Hello all. New guy here, hoping to learn from those wiser and more experienced than I.

My wife and I really want to purchase an Expedition, and we've found one locally that suits all of our needs (lower miles, heavy duty towing package, good condition). There's only one glitch: It doesn't have a third row seat. It looks like it came from the factory equipped with cargo compartments rather than a seat. We have two kiddos now and hope to have more, so in order for this Expy to work we're going to need a third row seat.

Is it possible to install one? I see Expy's in salvage yards, so I think with some hunting I could find a seat. But I'm not certain what other equipment would be needed or if this is even possible. We don't need the seat immediately, since it will be a little while before kiddo #3 comes, but I can't buy the Expy we're eying unless I know we can get a third row in there eventually.

The Expy we're looking at is a 2008 XLT.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I would keep looking for what you need. I wouldn't want to put my kid's in a non factory installed seat ,the expy probably doesn't have the welded in mounts.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, keep looking. While it might be possible, it would be best to have all the factory stuff installed by the factory.

And there's probably more to it then just the 3rd row itself. You'll need seat belts and possibly trim panels. Doesn't the 3rd gen power fold up and down? So there would be motors and wiring.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expeditions with second row captain's chairs have the mounts for the middle seat, but unfortunately the same doesn't apply for the third row area. While I'm sure you could install a 3rd row, I don't think it would be worth the cost of the seats or the hassle involved in installing them.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's an SSV

Adding 3rd row belts and refitting ALL seats into it is a one-evening project

ALL the holes are there. They're untapped, which scares away people, but truth is Ford screws are SELF-TAPPING

It all bolts right in, you just need a seatbelt donor and two rear pillar trim panels OR a good eye and a reamer

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is good news as I am looking at one of these trucks right now. So, if the holes are there, are there rubber plugs covering them? I saw pics someone posted of a shorty SSV where it appeared there were already bolts installed in the holes for the 3rd row seats (just no seats).

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is good news as I am looking at one of these trucks right now. So, if the holes are there, are there rubber plugs covering them? I saw pics someone posted of a shorty SSV where it appeared there were already bolts installed in the holes for the 3rd row seats (just no seats).

Let's put it this way:

This is an 09 SSV that had 3 mismatched seats TOTAL when purchased

No i didnt drill nothing. Some holes had plugs some had bolts. All holes were already there ready to be used.

20180408_234337.jpg

PS if you need them to fold, preferably buy manual seats, else youll need all rear side plastics and a harness from donor vehicle or will have to do some improvising for powerfold functionality

Ryan Gaschler

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2015 expedition ssv without 3rd row seating, my main concern is power for folding seats. Is the wiring there and I just need to plug I the switch, if not what needs to be done to wire in the folding seats

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I said in the other thread, wiring is very likely not present. You'll need a factory wiring diagram for your year. For 2015, there was a design change that made this option more complicated. Older models had a manually operated switch (one for the left and one for the right). You had to push and hold for the seat to move. The power to the switch was controlled by a relay operated by the Smart Junction Box (SJB). This made sure the seats could move only if the rear hatch was open and the vehicle was in park.

For 2015, the buttons are momentary, i.e. you press once and the seat moves from the folded to the deployed position or vice-versa. There's also a new button that lets you control both seats at once. A Power-Fold Seat Module (PFSM) runs the show and it's connected to a more complicated switch assembly. The Body Control Module (BCM, formerly known as the SJB) communicates with the PFSM to send an "enable" signal when the seats are safe to operate.

The best way to add these seats to your truck is to install them to factory specs. If you choose to use the older style controls, it's very important that they be wired in such a way that the seats cannot operate unless the rear hatch is open. This is to try and prevent anyone from operating the switch if the seat is occupied.

Since the motors use a lot of current, this circuit requires it's own heavy-duty tap at the battery junction box in the engine compartment (30 Amp breaker for 2015-17) and heavy-gauge wire run to the back of the truck.

It's possible the Power-Fold 3rd Row seats are available only with the power rear hatch. If that turns out to be the case, the BCM might rely on the pinch sensors of the hatch to know if it's open. You might need to experiment a bit to get the safety controls working. But, don't try to bypass them. You can imagine what might happen if someone activated the switch while the seat was occupied!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes