Can't get rid of p0401 Help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigodub

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 03 expedition with a 4.6 and getting code p0401. Now I have replaced parts in the egr system trying to get rid of the code but nothing has worked. I replaced the egr (aftermarket) dpfe ( Oem) egr solenoid, and have cleaned out the almost completely clogged egr ports behind the throttle body.

So having said that the truth still runs rough at idle almost like a bad coil. Once I pulled the vac line off or the egr valve the truck idle raises slightly and the idle is smooth. Just like I think it should run. I don't know why the egr solenoid is giving slight vacuum to the egr valve but it is. Is this my problem or something else? Please help thanks

IMG_3932.JPG

MrXLT

Reaction score
Did you ever solve your problem? I have EGR code on mine and about to tackle just what you did, mainly the most common symptom which is clogged ports.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pull the throttle body from the engine and clean out the exhaust ports There are some good videos on youtube about cleaning them The 4.6 has two small ports the 5.4 has one port

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Search youtube fot the following

P0401 code ford Throttle body EGR port cleaning 4.6 Ford Expedition part 1 of 5

MrXLT

Reaction score
^^THIS!!! That guy is a total bro for doing that! I gotta clean mine. Scotty Kilmer did a trick with a speedo cable hooked to a drill and some TB cleaner. It's great because you just need to remove the EGR valve.

Maybe search for "how to clean EGR" on his channel. I'm doing the whole TB though so I can be sure I got everything. If I still get a code I can confidently move on to other possible causes. I don't have the money to just throw parts at stuff and mine has over 200,000 miles on it so imagine what "a little housekeeping" (as that guy put it) would do for mine in there!

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
YEP that is a good cheap and lazy way to clean the ports

And what happens to all the junk the you push thru the ports It winds up being pushed into the intake manifold and into the cyl

MrXLT

Reaction score
YEP that is a good cheap and lazy way to clean the ports

And what happens to all the junk the you push thru the ports It winds up being pushed into the intake manifold and into the cyl

Well that was asked in the comments section, and I wondered about that too a little. His claim is it will easily be obliterated. Part of me wants to agree with that and part of me says, "solid things shouldn't be going through my intake".

He's a great guy and very entertaining but I take some of his advice with a grain of salt.