Cargo organizer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Now that I've moved from a sedan to the SUV for shopping, hiking, family trips I'm worried about grocery bags, luggage and such swaying around the back of the truck and maybe posing a danger to us in case of a sudden stop or accident (knock on wood).

So I'm curious: what do you use to keep your stuff from flying around in the back of the truck? I'm not talking about a small box/tote for tools or spare lightbulbs, but rather something that could fill the whole area and hold large items, such as groceries, sports gear, etc. Basically turn your cargo area into a sedan-like closed trunk.

I saw some cargo nets online, but they don't seem too versatile or strong.
I went to Walmart and got a big plastic container for $20. It fits tightly behind the 3rd row, is almost as long as the truck is wide and can hold a few bags of groceries.

But I'm wondering if there isn't a more clever solution out there. Ideally i'd like to find sort of a collapsible box that you can stretch out when you fold the 3rd row. I'll take a trip to Ikea, see if one of their fabric storage organizers would work.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

OP
OP
bertro

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats kinda cool sol.

i have a 1st gen so a little different from the 2nd gens, but i load everything up behind the 3rd row and inbetween the 2nd and 3rd row. if i have to take out the 3rd row i usually just keep one seat up and put the sub there and load it all up. my amp is dam big and i want to move it, but cant. so its always in the way when i load up all the camping stuff. but i just throw it in there. make it nice and tight. and if i have anything breakable and what not i just dont crazy. hard to do around here since it is so cal and everyone is in such a rush now a days.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just throw everything in the back and dont worry about it. the way i drive it'll all end up all mixed up and smashed anyhow. lol

JohnJohnson

Reaction score
I'm looking for something similar, for my first generation Expedition. But, I want something larger and more durable, not just for groceries and whatnot. I do tree service work. So, the back of my Expedition is full of tools, chainsaws, ropes, gas cans, etc. I need a huge organizer for the entire cargo area. I have taken out my 3rd row seat and I want to utilize the vertical height as space too. I found something close to what I am looking for but the price is outrageous. https://www.carid.com/2000-ford-exp...-tactical-gear-security-drawer-272124858.html Am I just going to have to build something myself? Has anyone else done something like this and could post some pics to give me ideas, etc?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone mentioned a standard Toyota cargo net wdely available from their dealerships... I think?

Me I mostly just try to refrain from opening the liftgate and use the glass only whenever I can, that seems to limit the tumbling problem

Theres also THIS silly-ass thing, apparently a stock item replacing the 3rd row in 2-row SSVs (and yeah you better believe it sure is every bit as ugly and odd as it appears in the pic, if not moreso)

2017-12-17 20.29.00.jpg

Last edited: