Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have read/heard/seen on the F150 platform the use of catch cans as a "needed" item to help with oil and build up of carbon. With this newer version of the Ecoboost 3.5L engine on the Expy, is a catch can a "needed" accessory as well?

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried to get the F150 catch can from JT Performance to fit in my 2018 Expedition but there is no place to mount the can. I could Gerry rig it but I like plug and play while the warranty is in place. I’ve got about 5k miles and I too am wondering if it is still necessary with the Ecoboost redesign as JT Performance has yet to come out with a 2018 Expedition specific catch can.

Olivy

Reaction score
You are running the 2nd generation 3.5 liter eco boost which combines direct and port injectors. The valve carbon buildup issue is therefore eliminated excluding any need for a catch can. Even the first gen ecoboost can get by without a catch can, the application is debatable.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are running the 2nd generation 3.5 liter eco boost which combines direct and port injectors. The valve carbon buildup issue is therefore eliminated excluding any need for a catch can. Even the first gen ecoboost can get by without a catch can, the application is debatable.

What gen is the '16? Thanks

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would love to see the difference of a gen 1 and gen 2 catch can after x amount of miles under similar driving conditions. Also would love to see the back of the valves after 50,000 miles

OP
OP
Randy Schmidt

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would love to see the difference of a gen 1 and gen 2 catch can after x amount of miles under similar driving conditions. Also would love to see the back of the valves after 50,000 miles
So, do you think a catch can on this new gen engine is a "necessity"?

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no, i am not saying either way. i am wanting to see what effects the improvements to the 2nd gen ecoboost would do to the catch can usefulness. say the 1st gen ecoboost fills up the can in one week of normal driving, does the 2nd gen only fill it half way in the same amount of time?

Olivy

Reaction score
The 16’ is first gen ecoboost.
I would assume a catch can on either generation engines would collect the same amount of oil. The reason is catch cans collect crank case vapors before they are sent back into intake valves for burning. 2nd gen ecoboosts have a port side fuel injector to clean intake valves from oil vapor crud buildup. Valve seat sealing and valve cleanliness is where you’ll see the biggest improvement with 2nd gen engines... either way, I’ve read oil quality and running the engine hot and hard enough is the best way to mitigate oil sludge buildup. Not just synthetic oil but an oil with a NOACK volatility rate lower than 8.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried to get the F150 catch can from JT Performance to fit in my 2018 Expedition but there is no place to mount the can. I could Gerry rig it but I like plug and play while the warranty is in place. I’ve got about 5k miles and I too am wondering if it is still necessary with the Ecoboost redesign as JT Performance has yet to come out with a 2018 Expedition specific catch can.
The JLT 3.0 kit F150 can fits the Expeditions perfectly. Mine came in this morning and just took minutes to install.