Caution: engine will stall rolling backwards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65scout

Reaction score
rjdelp7 AMEN
Did a wick search. Ford would call it improper operation. By using the throttle to hold the hill the transmission tries to engage the pickup on the converter. Engine stalls because it's overloaded rather than destroy the converter.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rjdelp7 AMEN. This just sounds so wrong in so many ways. I wasn't there but.......none of this sounds rgight. I have never heard of a switch that shuts the engine off of the vehicle slides. Like I said I wasn't there but my money says you nailed it. This is a great site with great information but if this (slide shut off engine magic switch) is not legit it doesn't belong here.
There is no switch that shuts your engine off when you are rolling backwards. What probably happened is rolling backwards in drive the lock up torque converter probably caused the engine to stall. You aren't supposed to roll backwards in drive.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no switch that shuts your engine off when you are rolling backwards. What probably happened is rolling backwards in drive the lock up torque converter probably caused the engine to stall. You aren't supposed to roll backwards in drive.

Now there’s a good theory.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I totaled out my 2014 on my driveway. There was about 1/2" of snow and the driveway is steep. I was testing for traction so I stopped to see how slippery it was. I rolled backwards in drive a short distance and the engine quit. Of course no more power steering, or brakes ...
Exp use a "standard"power brake booster (augmented by a vacuum pump on EcoBoost engines) that, like all vehicles with power brakes, should be good for 1 or 2 brake application after the engine quits.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Until you’re in an accident and sever a fuel line and are spraying high pressure gasoline everywhere

Unless your cutoff stalls you from a small whack or even a hard pothole bounce, and then you proceed to get broadsided by a semi or something

The absolute obscenity of the design comes from NOT letting you restart vehicle or override the shutdown from driver's seat

Have the computer give a countdown and ask you to tap a button or something to cancel....jeez

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless your cutoff stalls you from a small whack or even a hard pothole bounce, and then you proceed to get broadsided by a semi or something
Because a vehicle stalled from a fuel pump shutoff immediately comes to a grinding halt in the middle of freeway traffic. ;)

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Why does everyone keep talking about the inertia fuel pump shut off? It takes a high G impact to active it. This guy could of restarted his, if he had the time. He did not say, he knew why it stalled or if he had to re-set pump switch. He tried to re-create it with a different car. This is a transmission caused, stall. While rare in an automatic, pretty common on a stick. UPS has drivers set parking brake, at every red light(I am not kidding).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last week leaving my lake here in San Francisco, I climbed the grade, let it try to roll back, but got nothing. Me 2000 4x4 Eddie Bauer. My trans, and whatever held it to 2-3 feet rollback, no stall, engine stayed on, maybe it's a 2nd or 3rd edition thing!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Expedition007

Reaction score
I’ve had engines on other vehicles stall because of rolling backwards in Drive such as Jeeps with a 727 automatic. It’s not computer controlled either. If you roll fast enough backwards you hit a sweet spot where the transmission is going to engage enough of a load on the engine to try to spin the engine backwards. Once the engine dies, the engine no longer spins the front pump and line pressures drop to zero. I would assume that it wouldn’t take much of a roll with the very low first gear these have to create that condition.

Expedition007

Reaction score
My 2007 EL will roll backwards on many hills around here in Tennessee when pulling out of driveways. I’m guessing the low idle and 6200#+ heft doesn’t have enough torque to hold on a hill. You sometimes need to drive with two feet to breakaway from a dead stop on some hills... almost like a stick shift.