CD error message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwc928s4

Reaction score
Hello, 2003 ford expedition here. I just started getting this message on my radio, "CD error" When i push the CD button going from AM or FM and trying to play a CD. There is nothing in the owners manual about this, any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
D

dwc928s4

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for repling. I dont believe there is one stuck inside. It worked fine, then my wife went out and tried to eject a CD that she liked, and it said CD error, and would'nt do anything.
I guess its possible there is one stuck, but wouldny you be able to just select another CD and play it, mine is a 6 CD changer.
Do you know how to fix both situations ?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it try to read it, or does it go directly to the error? Will it do this if it's already in CD mode when you turn on the Expy?

It kinnda sounds like the CD is stuck inside...

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dwc928s4

Reaction score
hello,
It does not try to read any CD it goes directly to CD error message, and then kicks it right back into FM.

When the truck is running, and im listening to to radio FM. I click on CD, and the meessage appears, then kick it back to FM station i was listening to.

So i cant answer if it will do it with the truck off, and starting it in CD mode, becasue i cant get it to that position, becasue it keeps kicking me out of CD right into FM.

Thanks for everyones help.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, doesn't look good. I did a search over at F150online for CDs stuck in headunits, and it seems it's just one of those things that you hope happens while under warranty. I take it the CD changer is within the HU, right?

You could try taking it out and taking it apart, though there's no guarantee you'll be able to fix, or even fully take it apart. To take it out, you'll need to take off the front dash piece (how to else where on this site), then unbolt the HU and disconnect the electrical connectors.

Seems you'll need another HU. You can think of this as an oportunity to upgrade to a decent aftermarket one :)

Here's some auctions you might be interested in:
http://cgi.ebay.com/03-06-FORD-MUST...wItemQQptZCar_Audio_Video?hash=item53e07b3d31
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-0...7aQQitemZ380222717562QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-0...84QQitemZ380223105924QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Hah, you could sell your old one for money, it sems :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-0...3fQQitemZ360248700991QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Before getting an OEM radio, make sure the back plugs match up with yours.

Not sure for yours, but my CD-tape-radio HU, it seems to be held together by star bits. Lemme see if I can get a size for you.

EDIT: It seems they are T10 screws. Granted, mine is also an early model HU. Guess you'll find out when you take out your HU.

Last edited:

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My sister had a cd stuck in her Honda Pilot a few yrs back and I tried to remove the head unit to open it up. I gave up as I would have had to remove most of the dash to get it out. I banged on the unit with my hand a couple of times, and the cd popped right out. Worth a shot. lol.

OP
OP
D

dwc928s4

Reaction score
hello,
You were right. The CD is stuck, i couldnt see to goo at night, but i went out for lunch and the door to the CD tray is stuck open, and i can see the CD in there. How do i get it out ?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long, thin tweezers was one of the suggestions I read. Try not to break the CD in there, though. That might get messy.

lane87

Reaction score
'03 Expy here. My fix (probably temporary) was a combination of hand slamming the top, right after selecting CD and instead of "CD Error" it started trying to initialize again (after months of just CD error). I could hear it try to get things right a few times internally then back to CD error. So once more with the start, press CD hand slam, and when the door opened I jammed a credit card in there and wiggled a bit and the CD went down and started playing. Next, when I tried ejecting one and it started all over again. So, I have 6 CDs that play fine but I dare not try and eject them. I will work on it again with tweezers when I really want them back. Fine for now. Car has 210K on it now and I use Bluetooth FM modulator mostly anyway. Hope this helped someone who needed a temp fix on an old vehicle.
This Expy is super clean and runs like a watch BTW. Been a fantastic vehicle.