CEL from EVAP system, hose location mystery, 2005 EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArcticAthlon

Reaction score
OK so my CEL came on on my New to me 2005 Expedition EB. "Unable to Bleed Up Fuel Tank Vacuum" is description, and i can validate that there is a vacuum issue, because i can only fill up my tank half way before it clicks off. i can restart the fuel flow and get another 2 gallons, before it clicks and, then it just keeps clicking off. so there is a restriction somewhere.

Here is what i have checked so far:
1. Removed the Fuel Vapor Canister and checked for airflow. Airflow is fine, no charcoal issues.
2. Removed the Vapor Solenoid and it is always open and when i apply 12V, it closes. that is how it is supposed to behave, and so it works as well.
3. i removed and check the vapor purge valve and checked it as well. when applying voltage it worked as well. (dont remember if it was open and then closed with 12v or other way around)
4. I have purchased a new Motorcraft Fuel Cap. Nothing changed.

I am also stuck as to where this one hose is supposed to connect. It was never connected to anything, and it is called a "Fuel Vapor Hose" and is item number 5 on the diagram below.

2009-09-27_181135_N0047245.gif

I just don't know where it can go. The hose it too short to reach the fuel tank, and really only reaches up to the fuel tank filler neck. there are NO ports on it for it to connect.

Can anyone check and see if they have a different fuel filler neck, and possibly locate where this hose connects too?

Thanks for the help.

CAM00549_zps1bbcbf45.jpg

CAM00550_zps6f42cdd3.jpg
CAM00614_zps1baa4722.jpg

B

bedrck46

hope this helps

2005 Expedition/Navigator Workshop Manual
SECTION 303-13: Evaporative Emissions
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

ArcticAthlon

Reaction score
It just shows that it is vented to the atmosphere. so that means that it does not connect to anything, and that i have a different problem causing my CEL. bummer.

B

bedrck46

Since you now have the manual keep reading it and hopefully it will lead you to the cure and hopefully someone on here will offer some other suggestions

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
bedrck, I stumbled on this post as I am having EXACTLY the same issue as the OP mentions. The message you posted:

hope this helps

2005 Expedition/Navigator Workshop Manual
SECTION 303-13: Evaporative Emissions
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

Was this a link to the manual?
If so, it does not seem to work any longer.

Also wondering how this worked out in the end.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
P1450, sorry I didn't realize that the OP didn't have the code.
I knew the age but as it's 100% the same description I decided to leverage. Same truck (05), same code & description.

I've validated the proper functionality of the Canister Vent solenoid as well as the EVAP solenoid on the firewall. All hoses are clear, and intact with no kinks.

I am now suspecting the gas cap however I wasn't sure if they're suspect with the EVAP system. Do they contain check vavles to where they will allow air in when vacuum is applied?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Copied from the 2005 Service Manual

P1450 - Unable to Bleed Up Fuel Tank Vacuum
Description: Monitors the fuel vapor vacuum and pressure in the fuel tank. System failure occurs when the EVAP running loss monitor detects excessive fuel tank vacuum with the engine running (but not at idle).
Possible Causes:
  • Blockages or kinks in the EVAP canister tube or EVAP canister purge outlet tube (between the fuel tank, EVAP the canister purge valve and the EVAP canister).
  • Fuel filler cap stuck closed (no vacuum relief).
  • Contaminated fuel vapor elbow on the EVAP canister.
  • Restricted EVAP canister.
  • CV solenoid stuck open (partially or fully).
  • Plugged CV solenoid filter.
  • EVAP canister purge valve stuck open.
  • VREF circuit open (harness near the fuel tank pressure [FTP] sensor, the FTP sensor or the powertrain control module [PCM]).
  • Damaged FTP sensor.
Diagnostic Aids: Visually inspect the EVAP canister inlet port, CV solenoid filter, and canister vent hose assembly for contamination or debris.
Check EVAP canister purge valve for vacuum leak.
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All — — GO to HX9

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Thanks!
I've essentially ruled out everything with the exception of :
  • Fuel filler cap stuck closed (no vacuum relief).
  • VREF circuit open (harness near the fuel tank pressure [FTP] sensor, the FTP sensor or the powertrain control module [PCM]).
  • Damaged FTP sensor.
Going to get a fuel cap today and hope I don't need to drop the tank :)