Change Tranny Fluid???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Taylor

Reaction score
Recently bought a 05 Expy 4x4 EB
with 161k. Don't know the service history. It runs and drives great! The fluid appears to been taken care of. I heard the horror storys of flushing fluid with high mileage and you'll get a big paper weight. Thoughts?

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed my trany fluid back in December and I had about 200K miles on her. No problems... noticed an improvement in the shifting even.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
++ on fluid and filter change. spend the few extra .02 for Blue Oval filter.
if you wanna go all the way, you'll do converter as well.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You always want to do a trans fluid drop, and refill. Flushing out a transmission is asking for issues shifting, and clutches grabbing/ releasing. Especially with a trans that's got over 80k miles. I took a chance on my 4r100, at 75k, done at the dealer. The reason I did was nobody knew if I had mercon or mercon v synthetic in mine. I'm due for my 30k fluid drop in about 2 months, at least I know what fluids in there, as I bought the mercon v in their parts dept and left the case of it on passenger seat, when I dropped off. Theirs my 2 cents on flushing. Don't if you don't have to.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed my trany fluid back in December and I had about 200K miles on her. No problems... noticed an improvement in the shifting even.

I should have added that this involved dropping the pan, changing filter, and tying into the return line from the cooler to pull the old fluid out (since I don't have a drain on my converter). Adding new along the way until the fluid coming out looked clean.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know all the transmission since I believe 2004 don't have the torque convertor drain. I don't know why Ford and most manufactures do this. Probably to get past warranty, and sell transmissions. I grew up working on some of the most bullet proof engines/ transmission's of the 60's through early 90's. Quality started dropping mid 90's with electronic shifting, and under sized parts. I can see why you flush, otherwise your mixing old with new fluid. A safer bet would be to install a drain plug on your pan, drain fluid, go about 200 miles and drain again. A pain no doubt, but still safer than flushing.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 6 speed you just drop the pan and replaced filter. You are replacing 90% of the fluid and the remainder is no big deal. You cannot flush these trans as the thermal valve will not open up and allow fluid to flow. Never have these flushed as flushing machines have fluids with general additive packages that will not suit your trans 4 or 6. use the ford factory fluid.

In fords own words on the 6R75&80:

This transmission has an internal thermal bypass valve contained within the case. The thermal bypass valve will not allow the use of any type of transmission fluid exchange machine to be used on this transmission.

Last edited:

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drop pan and change. Drive till next oil change then change again.

No worries after that for a while.

JMHO
CJ

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Jexpedition, you cause more chance of damage with any flushing. I don't agree with the 90 percent part of fluid being drained. I'd say more like 70 percent, 4 quarts or more is in torque convertor. But that's still better than taking a chance flushing. We've had this discussion in the past, and agree that early, and often fluid/filter changes are the key to a long life of any automatic transmission. The owners of long term life of their transmissions, whether 4 or 6 speed, happen with constant service intervals, along with a proper transmission cooler if used for severe duty, like Towing heavy trailers.