Charging System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick Cruz

Reaction score
Hi New to the site, I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer edition an my battery light is on and check your charging system is on. I changed out alternator . System is charging but cannot kill light or message on dash.

I did change out the fuse box from one from a wrecking yard cuz I had problem with no start due to burnt relays,. I have been researching and some says the fuseable link might be a problem? Any help be greatly appreciated

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pcm now controls the alternator for that year. If you bought a low cost rebuilt alternator the chances are good the two don't "talk" to one another very well. It may be charging the whole time with the results being an over charged battery.

You would need an oscilloscope to monitor the signals to and from the pcm.

Charging Diagrams attached.

Attachments

• 12-01.pdf
    38.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 12-02.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
R

Rick Cruz

Reaction score
I will try a new alternator today. Don't have access to an oscilloscope. I did put a 130 amp rebuilt one in. I asked about the fusable link since I've seen couple comments on it. I've thought the fusable they are good or bad.

Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fusible links are "redneck" fuses, they usually fail "open" electrically. Check the single black wire going to the alternator for battery voltage. If you have it the links are good.

OP
OP
R

Rick Cruz

Reaction score
It was the alternator, I installed a new one and fixed the problem. Thanks for the information.