Check Engine Soon light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Butch Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 Expedition 5.4L engine. My check engine soon light is on. Car is running fine. Is this a service reminder? How do I reset it? Thanks

rverdi

Reaction score
It's not a service reminder, it's a notification that your computer is detecting a problem. Very often it is a gas cap that was put on improperly, so check that first. If not, a technician is going to have to pull down the codes to determine what's causing it. You may be able to reset it by pulling the negative battery cable for 30+ seconds but if the cause still exists, it's going to come back on.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it to Advanced, Autozone, etc and they should read it for free. Post the code on here.

OP
OP
B

Butch Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Must have been some bad gas. Filled up, started and stopped a few times and no more light. Thanks for the advice.

rverdi

Reaction score
More likely the gas cap was put on improperly at the last fill up. This time they put it on right and a few starts cleared the computer. Glad it worked out without a repair.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would still stop by and try to get the code read. I think the computer keeps a log of codes, even after they've turned off. I'd check just to be sure.