Check your diff fluids!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeaterGoat

Reaction score
Been lurking for a while, first post here. Picked up a 2018 SWB Limited 4x4 w/ Max Tow last August with just under 67k miles. I was a little worried about the mileage, but it was Gold Certified with 1 year bumper to bumper, powertrain warranty is good until 2025/100k miles. A significant amount of work was done by the dealer prior to certifying it. I towed my 25ft Airstream a couple times last fall, in total probably about 150 miles. I do not know what kind of towing was done prior to my purchase.

Pulled it into the shop today (just ticked over 71k miles) to change diff and transfer case fluids. I took a small sample from the rear diff prior to draining and it was full of metal flake and small particles. Checked the transfer case fluid - same thing. Pulled the fill plug on the front diff (no drain plug) and stuck my finger in - full of metal as well. I have drained hundreds, if not thousands of diffs, transmissions, and transfer cases and have never seen this much metal without a noise concern present. I'm scheduled at Ford for next Tuesday and will update this thread after they give me their verdict.

So a cautionary reminder: check your fluids! We are often concerned about engine oil and ATF, but diffs and transfer cases are just as important.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good advice. I did the same literally down to the purchase. We bought a 2018 Max Limited with 60k that was gold certified. Owners manual pushed the diff and trans out to 150k and transfer case at 100k. The truck is so easy to service it would be a shame to wait that long. I didn’t see any metal in any of the fluids but this is what the magnetic rear diff drain plugs looked like which to me is a lot. If I owned this truck from new, I would have done it at 40k max. Unfortunately I did drop the trans pan and changed the fluid and filter then the C D F clutch drum that has nothing to do with fluid failed about 5k after that - what a bummer. Spark plugs are another thing on these engines that won’t make it to 100k. Seems about 50-60k is the max before misfires and driveability issues begin to happen.

1675896538923.jpeg

OP
OP
B

BeaterGoat

Reaction score
Update for anyone who is interested:
Got my Expedition back from the dealer last week. Supposedly a field service engineer happened to be at the dealership while my Expy was being looked at and determined the amount of metal found in both diffs and the tcase was "normal" - needless to say they won't be doing any warranty replacement/rebuild. It certainly isn't normal for any of the vehicles I work on professionally. I can't say I'm shocked, but I'm definitely disappointed. I'm sure if I was out of warranty they'd be happy to write me some very expensive estimates to have these components replaced. I'll be changing the fluids, monitoring them, and shopping for a 3/4 ton truck before my warranty expires (2 more years, 28k miles). Check your fluids early and often!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are better off letting the old fluid in there, so the parts fail and Ford will pay then.......

OP
OP
B

BeaterGoat

Reaction score
You are better off letting the old fluid in there, so the parts fail and Ford will pay then.......
That would be great if I could pick the time and place of failure. However, if it happened hours away from home towing a camper with my family I'd be up a creek...or if it happened right after my warranty expired.

gural

Reaction score
i was changing fluid in diff and box - about after 50 k
no metal crape on magnese
oil was almost perfect

so really i am a bit supprised that can happen in EXP

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm an advocate for changing fluid early than following factory recommendation. I changed my oil around 1500 miles to remove break in oil, all transfer case, front axle, rear diff at 20k miles and I did the rear diff, transfer case fluid again at 50k miles. I also changed out spark plugs at 50k miles as safe measure since these turbo engines are rough on plugs. I plan to keep my Expedition until the wheels falling off. I'm currently at 52k miles and it has been good except the cam phasers recall and leak valve gasket that were taken care under warranty. I do have 72 months/100k miles warranty just in case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire