checking fluid level in 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Bryan

Reaction score
Was wondering about fluid level in tranny in our 2012 Expedition with the 5.4. I know there is no dipstick, there is a place for one, plugged. But good grief, take it to the dealer? Thanks, Mike.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was wondering about fluid level in tranny in our 2012 Expedition with the 5.4. I know there is no dipstick, there is a place for one, plugged. But good grief, take it to the dealer? Thanks, Mike.

Bunch of threads on this already, but here is the info you seek:

The 'plug' actually houses the dipstick. Get truck to running temperature on a flat, level surface, leave it running. Using a 19mm combo wrench crack open the plug. Its right by the exhaust, so don't burn yourself. Cracking it loose before warming the truck is best idea, but you do you. Now unscrew the plug and lift it STRAIGHT up. I side of it is a fragile yellow or tan plastic dipstick. Pull it out and look at it.

Don't be a goober and remove the plug without the truck running........ you'll need ALOT of kitty litter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze