Chevy guy with an Expedition. Lol.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D_L_Masterson

Reaction score
So. The story is this clean 2000 Expedition is being given to me. I have not yet seen it but it will be our first Ford in 22 years of driving becuse I have never seen a Ford last for long. ;) I have a 93 Chevy fullsize 4x4 Blazer 2 door. Which at the moment needs a tcase and rearend. My other car needs restored. 1958 Chevy 4 door Delray.
Now with that being said. Being it is given to me I am gonna be open minded. It has 250000 on the OD. Rich couple owned it. All maintnance done as required at Ford dealer. Silver. Other then that still site unseen lol. I would guess it is probably at least an XLT if there is a higher level???
So now from a hotrod builder and designer standpoint. Time to look at mods. I want to do a "Lightning" body kit (does this exist as a complete kit or lookalike for the Expedition?), and possible all black with no chrome. Also "Lightning" drivetrain. Gonna guess a wrecked Lightning may be in my future. So how y'all doing?

OP
OP
D_L_Masterson

D_L_Masterson

Reaction score
So change of plans lol.
Just decoded it for more insight.
New design. At least it has the V8.

2000 Ford Expedition
VIN 1FMPU16L3YLCXXXXX
The VIN decodes to a 2000 Ford Expedition with a 5.4L V8 SOHC 16V engine.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome.

All Expeditions are V8. But you did get the bigger of the 2. The 4.6 is the smaller V8.

I'm going to guess it is the Eddie Bauer trim.

This drivetrain is actually pretty good. There are plenty of people on ford-trucks.com with over 300,000 miles.

Can't help you with the body kit. That's not my thing. I'm more of a dirt kind of guy.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum
There were only two engines available in the Expeditions for that year and both were V8's a 4.6 and a 5.4

OP
OP
D_L_Masterson

D_L_Masterson

Reaction score
Yeah. I had a ******* moment. Forgot the 4.6 is an 8. Last time I heard 4.6 was early 2000s Mustang. No need for the body kit now. I was figuring it was 2wd (not sure if they offered that) since I am in GA.