Child Car Seats - 2nd Row

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone had three car seats in the 2nd row? How well do they fit? If you have two in the middle (one on each side) how difficult is it to get to the 3rd row?

cellman

Reaction score
Yes, they all will fit unless you have unusually large car seats. Getting to the third row with both installed on each side in not going to happen unless you put two of them next to each other. You could always get to the third row from the rear hatch or crawling over the seats though. Probably best if you put two in the back and one in the middle row. If you need narrow car seats Diono car seats are super narrow.

OP
OP
Clemson82

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. We'll probably have to put one in the third row. Those Diono car seats are $$$, but it looks like they have excellent ratings.

dmm5157

Reaction score
We have 3 car seats in the middle row. I actually just bought a 3-seat "bench" style in my 2007 Expedition (got them out of a 2011 Expy) and swapped out my 2nd row Captains seats because we have 3 kiddos in carseats (ages 3.5, 2.5 and 1.5) and every day required me to jump into the back of the car to get the kiddos out of the 3rd row.

I'll take a photo on my lunch break and post it, but the 2nd row fits all 3 of our carseats just fine. We have 1 Cosco 2-in-1 (cheapo from Walmart) and 2 Evenflo (cannot recall the model). All are forward facing right now, work just fine.

Nice thing about the Expedition 2nd row bench is each individual seat has its own pair of anchor points. Much better than my wife's Explorer, which does not have anchor points for the center seat in the 2nd row.

You can get into 3rd row pretty easily if you put 2 carseats in the middle row (center seat and one on edge, either side). I think it'd be too tight to try to jump over center seat, even when back is flipped down.

I'll post some pictures a little later.

Last edited:

dmm5157

Reaction score
Here are some photos I took on my lunch break, please excuse the messy seats as my 3 kiddos are a handful.

11u95l0.jpg

15czeyh.jpg

2yv1l5g.jpg

66i0xj.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clemson82

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's great, thanks for posting the pics. It looks a bit tight, but as long as it works, that's all that matters. Can't wait to be able to turn my 1 year old aroung to forward facing, will be nice to be able to see her while we drive. I'm constantly asking my other child to check on her for me.

GalaxyPilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got captains chairs 2d row so a little different, but I put two in the very back and one in the middle, then you can leave the other 2d row seat in cargo mode all the time

dmm5157

Reaction score
I've got captains chairs 2d row so a little different, but I put two in the very back and one in the middle, then you can leave the other 2d row seat in cargo mode all the time

That's what I've done for the last 2 years and it worked out fine (gave me a workout every day to get the kids in/out of the car to/from daycare), but when we took family trips to the store that configuration didn't leave much room for stroller or groceries

With middle bench, I now leave the 3rd row down all the time and we can actually move one carseat to 3rd row and allow 2-3 more people to fit in the car if needed.

Love the middle captains chairs, but it really limits your options when you have kids in carseats.