Chrome Shift handle Pealing - Repair Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2008Limited

Reaction score
Hadn't seen this discussed - sorry if it comes off as a newb already covered topic.

Picked up a 2008 Limited 2 weeks ago, the only real interior flaw is on the shift handle, suppose since it's the only major flaw it really stands out. Also my hand touches it daily.

Here's a link to the part in question: http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/10/2015/11/2012-ford-expedition-limited-suv-gear-shift.png

The top portion where the palm of the hand meets is peeling on mine...the 1/2 inch wide chrome stripe. Has anyone repaired this issue before...or can just that portion of the shifter be replaced?

Best idea I can come up with is taping off the plastic wood areas, sanding it all smooth and then getting some chrome vinyl from the sign shop and recovering.

-Tim

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This center chrome assembly is replaceable, as are the side pieces. Cost is somewhere around $40 - $50. This part is out of the F150 parts bin and there have been revisions over the years, likely some part numbers supersede others, so your best bet is to contact a dealer with your VIN to get the part number they show. It'll probably be something like 9L1Z7213B, 9L1Z7213BA, or 9L1Z7213BD. You'll notice below that over the years, the side pieced have changed, but the center part remains the same regardless of finish.

I believe 2015 or 2016 Ford offered this piece in satin black.
gearshift.jpg

gearshift.jpg

gearshift.jpg

Navigator:
incoln-navigator-2wd-4-door-gear-shift_100249121_l.jpg
Silver
Ford-F-150-Harley-Davidson-Edition-shifter.jpg
My personal fave
maxresdefault.jpg

I remember reading threads about these being changed out in the past, so its somewhere on this forum.

OP
OP
2008Limited

2008Limited

Reaction score
Exactly what I was looking for - thank you so much for the reply and the part numbers.

This is the last item on my list of repairs to fix worn OE items.

-Tim