CJB nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MWguns

Reaction score
Sorry for the long thread, but idk what 2 do.

Morning everyone. On my 2004 expy, build date is 10/03, i am having no crank/start issues with my PATS light blinking at a steady pace with key on, engine off. There was also a clicking from CJB in pass. Side kick pannel every other time the PATS light flashed. As soon as i would turn my key on my msg center read "-------" on compass, outside temp and miles. there was a constant buzz comming from the CJB, that at times would stop for a short time and start again. Had a buddy with FORScan come by and see if maybe the PATS had forgotten my keys, when he hooked up it showed he had power at OBDII port, but program refused to connect, same with my $160 OBDII scanner w/abs. If i unplugged the smaller blue lined pigtail from the top of the CJB box, the truck would crank, but never start. And the PATS light would rapidly blink at a random rate. The buzzing would stop, but not the clicking from a relay, and would click at random times to the light. IE: light, light, light&click, light&click, light, light, light, light&click. Not that exact order, but you get what i mean...
Well i took CJB out and completly took it apart thinking a "non-serviceable" relay had burnt up. Pic1 Attached shows what the real issue was. Now ive spent 4 days searching every pick-n-pull, all-in-1 self service, muncie u-pull ect... for a 2nd gen expy or navi, and if 1 god dam thing is missing out of the 6 of them between 10 yards, its the CJB.
I did manage to pull one out of a 2004 f150 5.4L 4x4, i had to solder an extra "non-serviceable" relay in, 12 pins between 3 pigtails and a small tan-colored capacitor onto the board. Now i have no PATS light flashing even if key on engine off, or key off engine off, i have power at starter that does function correctly,(i pulled it before all this and tested) my fuel pump sounds like its running overtime with key on and doesnt shut off, my defroster is on and stays on no matter what, i have no horn, but my message center displays compass, milage n outside temp correctly now. CJB has brand new relays and fuses, its not popping any fuses and when i try to start the truck there is just a single click from CJB. Is there any way to make this CJB board work with my expy? Or am i better off dishing the $554.48 to the local ford dealer for a new expy CJB? Thanks for any help, ive been without a truck for 3weeks now...

1504426101799248533330.jpg

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go back and look at your original fuse box. On the side of the box you will see a white sticker with a PART NUMBER on it. Any replacement fuse box MUST have the same exact part number.

Also on that sticker will be a build date of the fuse box which in your case should be a date before the build date of the expy. Any build date after that would indicate that the fuse box has been replaced in the past by the previous owner.

Finding a fuse box from a 2003 expy although the box may look the same will not work in your 2004 expy.

Go back to the circuit board in the picture and you may want to try and solder a jumper across the break on the circuit board

OP
OP
MWguns

MWguns

Reaction score
Well i found one from an 04 expy finally. About 75miles one way, but $84.68 vs $554.26 means time for a small road trip! Lol... i was hoping it would of been "plug n play" but i had pulled all fuses to double checl (cigar lighter was blown) and checked all relays (1 bigger one still clicked when put to a hot battery woth jumpers, but when ohmed out read different from the others) but still no crank... noticed i also didnt have a PATS light on dash. So for ***** n gigs, i plugged in the other PCM i bought weeks ago when first dealing with this. As soon as i connected my battery back, i could somehow see it on a 3pm sunny midwestern afternoon:D:D. And when i turn my key to On Engine Off, i get a rapid blinking at a constant rate, not all chopped up. So now gotta wait till monday for local mechanic with FORScan program to come get his 12pack and reprogram my PATS and keys.:banana-mario::cheers::chewie:

Will post update on monday.

OP
OP
MWguns

MWguns

Reaction score
The "mechanic" with an ELM327 adaptor finally showed up (4 days late) and half ass programmed the PCM so my truck would start with keys. Now i have my ABS light on with 4 codes all related to mismatched VIN in PCM. My ELM327 adaptor should be herr within an hr from amazon, but the truck is up and running and has been. Came back to reply so the thread can be put to rest.

Go back and look at your original fuse box. On the side of the box you will see a white sticker with a PART NUMBER on it. Any replacement fuse box MUST have the same exact part number.

Also on that sticker will be a build date of the fuse box which in your case should be a date before the build date of the expy. Any build date after that would indicate that the fuse box has been replaced in the past by the previous owner.

Finding a fuse box from a 2003 expy although the box may look the same will not work in your 2004 expy.

Go back to the circuit board in the picture and you may want to try and solder a jumper across the break on the circuit board

I would of done this, but my orig bad one i ended up fking up pretty bad to try n make f150 CJB work, and the one i found the numbers dont match 100% and is from 04/2004 and was plug n play. PCM came from an 07/2004 expy and needed programmed. But thanks for the reply and help, i really appricate it.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would have been simpler and easier to repair the original cjb. Burned traces are very easy to replace with stranded wire.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Morning everyone. On my 2004 expy, build date is 10/03, i am having no crank/start issues with my PATS light blinking at a steady pace with key on, engine off. There was also a clicking from CJB in pass. Side kick pannel every other time the PATS light flashed. As soon as i would turn my key on my msg center read "-------" on compass, outside temp and miles. there was a constant buzz comming from the CJB, that at times would stop for a short time and start again. Had a buddy with FORScan come by and see if maybe the PATS had forgotten my keys, when he hooked up it showed he had power at OBDII port, but program refused to connect, same with my $160 OBDII scanner w/abs. If i unplugged the smaller blue lined pigtail from the top of the CJB box, the truck would crank, but never start. And the PATS light would rapidly blink at a random rate. The buzzing would stop, but not the clicking from a relay, and would click at random times to the light. IE: light, light, light&click, light&click, light, light, light, light&click. Not that exact order, but you get what i mean...
Well i took CJB out and completly took it apart thinking a "non-serviceable" relay had burnt up. Pic1 Attached shows what the real issue was. Now ive spent 4 days searching every pick-n-pull, all-in-1 self service, muncie u-pull ect... for a 2nd gen expy or navi, and if 1 god dam thing is missing out of the 6 of them between 10 yards, its the CJB.
I did manage to pull one out of a 2004 f150 5.4L 4x4, i had to solder an extra "non-serviceable" relay in, 12 pins between 3 pigtails and a small tan-colored capacitor onto the board. Now i have no PATS light flashing even if key on engine off, or key off engine off, i have power at starter that does function correctly,(i pulled it before all this and tested) my fuel pump sounds like its running overtime with key on and doesnt shut off, my defroster is on and stays on no matter what, i have no horn, but my message center displays compass, milage n outside temp correctly now. CJB has brand new relays and fuses, its not popping any fuses and when i try to start the truck there is just a single click from CJB. Is there any way to make this CJB board work with my expy? Or am i better off dishing the $554.48 to the local ford dealer for a new expy CJB? Thanks for any help, ive been without a truck for 3weeks now...

View attachment 21407

Just run some solder on that board repair the busted connection imho

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 21407

I would use a soldering iron and just replace that solid copper line with a piece of stranded wire. Any wire that is dense enough to cover at least 1/2 the width of the copper line (when insulation is stripped off) will be plenty to carry the current. Won’t take you 5 minutes to fix that and save yourself all the $$$ and headache of having to repeatedly get the system synced to your keys, fixing errors, etc.

It looks as if the copper line wasn’t perfectly clean when the board was built or it got scratched/knicked and caused corrosion, which caused excess resistance. This is indicated by the the copper becoming heated and burning off the coating before the corroded spot got hot enough to melt the board underneath slightly before finally burning through the corroded spot.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[
USMCBuckWild

Although you posted some good advice I think that it will fall on deaf ears
The OP is this thread has not provided any further updates to his problem since his last visit on 9/18/17 to his thread This is very typical of many new members on this forum.

They get offered good advice and you never hear back from them

OP
OP
MWguns

MWguns

Reaction score
[
USMCBuckWild

Although you posted some good advice I think that it will fall on deaf ears
The OP is this thread has not provided any further updates to his problem since his last visit on 9/18/17 to his thread This is very typical of many new members on this forum.

They get offered good advice and you never hear back from them

If you would have scrolled up, you would have saw were i stated i had messed up my OEM Centeral Junction Box. By attempting to make one from an f150 work(it did not go as planned), so i mamaged to locate one from a 2004 expy for under $100. It was "plug n play", but my PCM was fried so had to replace it($40). PCM needed to be programmed for PATS ($50) and ive been on the road for a little over a month now. But yes, he did offer great advice, as a few other members before him did with the same advice.