Clarion Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sphillips

Reaction score
bought a 2000 XLT that previous owner installed a clarion radio DRX 5675, don't like it. Any suggestions for an inexpensive replacement with XM?

Thx

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
www.crutchfield.com

A double DIN radio will fit with some trimming of internal dash plastic (unless that Clarion is already a double DIN). If you buy from Crutchfield, you'll get all the needed adapters and instructions for trimming the dash.

OP
OP
S

sphillips

Reaction score
www.crutchfield.com

A double DIN radio will fit with some trimming of internal dash plastic (unless that Clarion is already a double DIN). If you buy from Crutchfield, you'll get all the needed adapters and instructions for trimming the dash.

Thx Tom, don't really want modify the dash. I'm not a big music listener, mostly talk radio. Might see if I can find an original radio, and a separate XM. BTW, what the heck is DIN?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DIN refers to size 2″ x 8″ opening that a radio fits into. DIN stands for Duetch Industri Normen which the Germans starting using to standardize the radio's in Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes, VW's way back in the mid 80's. It has since become the industry standard. DOUBLE DIN is the same width of 8″ but is 4″ instead of 2″.Jan 10, 2015

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First editions have what is know as din and a half. If you don't go with a oem replacement, your aftermarket ones are single din, which is smaller, and manufacturers make an adapter that goes over the radio and fills in the gap that is visible. You probably already have the adapter on the clarion radio. If you go with a used oem Ford unit, make sure you get the right one. For example my 2000 Eddie Bauer has what is called the Mach stereo system, that used 2 separate amplifiers, a 4 channel one for the door speakers, and another for the 8 inch subwoofer, in the passenger rear. I'm like you I find myself listening to public radio a lot these days on Fm. I use a cassette tape adapter to plug into my I phone, when I feel like using Spotify or Pandora. You can only listen to Cd's so much. I'm with you on not wanting to hack into the dash to make the double din fit. It only takes one slip of the saw, to make it ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the cuts of the dash are done behind the radio. You'd have to really screw up for it to be ugly.

Want my old Mach (factory) stereo? Does your XLT have the Mach system? Would it work on something that isn't the Mach system?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
His clarion is single din, but the Ford one is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches thicker I don't think the Mach and standard Ford units are plug and play. Theirs probably a way to make it work. But all he has to do is look at his front door speaker grills. Mine says Mach right on them. I believe the Mach setup uses a pre- amp only head unit, that gets power to the speakers via the amps. The non Mach has a built in amp in the head unit, at least it should. From what I've read in the past, I believe that is an accurate assessment. I haven't dug into mine, so if I'm incorrect, please let me know.

OP
OP
S

sphillips

Reaction score
His clarion is single din, but the Ford one is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches thicker I don't think the Mach and standard Ford units are plug and play. Theirs probably a way to make it work. But all he has to do is look at his front door speaker grills. Mine says Mach right on them. I believe the Mach setup uses a pre- amp only head unit, that gets power to the speakers via the amps. The non Mach has a built in amp in the head unit, at least it should. From what I've read in the past, I believe that is an accurate assessment. I haven't dug into mine, so if I'm incorrect, please let me know.

Door speaker says "Premium".

Thx

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just read up on the difference. Premium system is driven by the built in amplifier of the head unit in the dash. It has the lower power amp that's built into it. You also don't have the 8 inch subwoofer or its amplifier in the passenger rear. The cd changer, and cassette radio head unit are similar, but the wiring is different. You can go with a factory unit online, maybe Ebay, or one of our members has one. If you go oem make sure it's not the Mach stereo, but the premium one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze