Clicking and Rough Idle 2010 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichaelH

Reaction score
Hi friends;

I have a 2010 XLT 5.4 with 120k well maintained miles. The most peculiar thing has been happening - Especially when the truck is at an angle, going up a hill (I live in Colorado), and/or driving slowly for extended periods in traffic... An awful clicking-clacking noise comes from the engine compartment and the idle becomes super rough. Usually, hitting the accelerator will fix this for a bit until the truck is level again. I first noticed this in a driveway and thought it an aberration, but it has continued and the other day I was in traffic on a steep mountain pass and it was so bad I thought I'd be stranded there.

I haven't been able to find anything in the forums on this, although a youtube search tells me that it could be the roller followers, lash adjusters, VCT solenoid... I just want to know who else has encountered this, if its something I can fix on my own, or how much it might cost at a shop.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like bad VCT solonoids. Does it only happen as idle or low rpm? That’s usually a tell tale. Solonoids are easy, you have to pull valve covers but they are simple to do yourself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MichaelH

Reaction score
Yes, only at idle and low RPM. Watching a YouTube tutorial on VCT solenoids, it does look like removing the valve cover is the most difficult part of the job

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Yes, only at idle and low RPM. Watching a YouTube tutorial on VCT solenoids, it does look like removing the valve cover is the most difficult part of the job
Might be worth checking oil pressure before dropping a few hundred bucks into solenoids. Poor oil pressure can cause issues that look like a bad VTC

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK