Clicking sound from behind the dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
I would too, but my truck annoyingly starts running A/C and fans off battery if you turn the key a notch to run radio with the engine off... and turning the A/C on and off at the selector switch seems to sometimes bring back the clacking.

Switching rear to cold then hot then off a couple times usually resolves it.

As to running full A/C, the highest setting on the blower in my truck is dramatically more powerful than just one notch less --- but also sounds like a jumbo jet preparing for takeoff

Sounds like we have the exact same issue. I guess I should remover the actuator and see if I can move the door by hand like in the video above. At least it's stuck in the upper vent position which is normally what I use in Houston for A/C and I can live with it. The noise is just annoying!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like we have the exact same issue. I guess I should remover the actuator and see if I can move the door by hand like in the video above. At least it's stuck in the upper vent position which is normally what I use in Houston for A/C and I can live with it. The noise is just annoying!

I think mine's the rear, though. My front controls are plenty obedient and do what I ask.

The one thing that's confusing me is that I don't actually ever turn the rear vents on at all....so why is it even engaging it??

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
I removed the actuator and when powering up the actuator spins. Also, I can move the cam fairly easily by hand to control where the air comes out so I don't think that it's jammed. I am going to try the trick to pull the fuse and re-calibrate to see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I removed the actuator and when powering up the actuator spins. Also, I can move the cam fairly easily by hand to control where the air comes out so I don't think that it's jammed. I am going to try the trick to pull the fuse and re-calibrate to see if that helps. Any other suggestions?
I'd be willing to bet that the gears inside a stripped so when there's no load on it it's been fine but once you add a little pressure to that output gear the internal gears start to slip. I would test the actuator again but I would use your finger to apply a little pressure to that output gear

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
Yes, I removed the correct actuator. I will try opening it up and looking for stripped gears. I replaced one in the past and the clicking went away for about a year and I have opened that one up and the gears all look good.

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that the gears inside a stripped so when there's no load on it it's been fine but once you add a little pressure to that output gear the internal gears start to slip. I would test the actuator again but I would use your finger to apply a little pressure to that output gear

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk

I opened up the actuator and all of the gears look good. After watching a video on YouTube I removed the gears and it looks like the tracks that are used to report back the position are worn out. My old actuator didn't have the tracks but the Dorman one I replaced it with a few years ago does. If the tracks wore out after a year then it's a terrible design.actuator.jpg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I opened up the actuator and all of the gears look good. After watching a video on YouTube I removed the gears and it looks like the tracks that are used to report back the position are worn out. My old actuator didn't have the tracks but the Dorman one I replaced it with a few years ago does. If the tracks wore out after a year then it's a terrible design.View attachment 20923
Worn out or just dirty?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Straight up gone - the electrical track wore away. There is a video about this bad design on YouTube. I contacted Dorman and Rock Auto (place of purchase) and I am sending it back for a replacement (lifetime warranty).
I'm glad to hear they are honoring the warranty but what a PIA to have to change it again.