Clicking sound from front of engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 15 expedition with the turbo. I am getting a clicking sound from the very front of the engine at idle. It's loud enough for others to notice as I have heard a couple of comments. The engine has 40,000 miles on it. Is this normal?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should localize the source of the sound. Use a length of garden hose and figure out where the noise is loudest.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 15 expedition with the turbo. I am getting a clicking sound from the very front of the engine at idle. It's loud enough for others to notice as I have heard a couple of comments. The engine has 40,000 miles on it. Is this normal?

Have a dealer evaluate the noise under the 5-year / 60,000 mile power train warranty.

(I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new.)

OP
OP
J

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will they do that under the 60,000 warranty? I'm always hesitant to take it in now that I'm over the 36,000. I also expect a big diagnostic fee.

I live in upstate NY and it was 9 degrees this morning. I did not hear the noise it is weird.

Thanks for the hose trick I never thought of that but would be perfect to get into small areas to listen.

Thanks for everyone's response

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let us know what you find and where you narrow down the source of the noise from....many of us have the 3.5 and will be interested to hear what you found!

jeff