Clunk in front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, this is driving me INSANE!

For about 6 months I have been trying to figure out a clunk in my front end. Whenever I shift from drive to reverse or vice versa I get a “clunk” from the front. Checked the driveline/cv shafts/hub actuators and all are in good shape and functioning properly. Checked vacuum lines and actuators and all are properly functioning and holding vacuum. Checked the brake calipers, hoses and rotors; not hanging up or dragging. Lugs are tight. Fluid is clean and no metal shavings or excessive “dust” in the fluid and is fresh (less than 15k on Amsoil). Diff is tight with almost no slop/movement at all.

What am I missing?!?!?!?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And this is JUST when you shift from R to D or back?

Hmmm.... I think it might be a Ford 6R / ZF 6HP thing? Both my Expy and my Bimmer exhibit it to some degree

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And this is JUST when you shift from R to D or back?

Hmmm.... I think it might be a Ford 6R / ZF 6HP thing? Both my Expy and my Bimmer exhibit it to some degree

Thre is very little inside the trans that will provide a clunk, especially to the degree that I am hearing. If the trans was clunking that bad it would be in pieces and all sorts of CEL.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What else could it be???

Especially since it's repeatable in a stationary vehicle standing on the brakes

BTW just got the tranny mounts redone on the bimmer, gonna have to remember to pay attention if it's still doing the same thing on reverse shifts

ChrisRCNY

Reaction score
I'm trying to track down my own set of clunks.

My rear clunk is probably the diff arm bushing, combined with a lot of gear lash.

Front clunks are just random enough to be hard to track down.

I've got an odd "Out of round tire" feel that comes and goes, but the tires are all fine. I'll be swapping with a friend's new f150 tires for a few miles, see if it goes away. If it doesn't, I'll likely be doing both upper control arms w/ ball joints and replacing the lower ball joints. Next is the inner and outer tie rods. LF lower ball joint had some play and got replaced, upper was east to move, but had no play.