Cold air intake questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a cold air intake and what brand did you use? Did you see any significant gains or improvement in power and gas milage? Do you think it's worth it? I have the 4.6L V8 in my 02 Expys. Any reviews are welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have k&n...u won't see hp gains but slight increase in mpg... since u have 02... search gotts mod in the site... there's a write up to make ur own intake for increase mpg for about $30 or less

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Programmer is where u get the biggest improvement... add exhaust and u'll have a good increase

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just settle for a good exhaust system and lighten the load on the truck.
The programmer is hands down the biggest bang for buck... add the exhaust... add the intake... decent changes

Shabadoo

Reaction score
The programmer is hands down the biggest bang for buck

+1 for this. Just make sure you do your research on which brand of programmer is best. I started with superchips but was really disappointed with the lack of features. I switched to SCT and have really enjoyed it.

I also installed a K&N cold air intake kit. As has been mentioned in other posts, the problem with these is that they're designed such that they actually "breath" in the hot air from the engine bay. Intake air temps reached 154F on mine once when I was idling through Orlando with an ambient temperature of 96F. Personally, I think you'll see similar gains by buying a Spectre or K&N replacement air filter and installing the gotts mod on the stock intake assembly.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for this. Just make sure you do your research on which brand of programmer is best. I started with superchips but was really disappointed with the lack of features. I switched to SCT and have really enjoyed it.

I also installed a K&N cold air intake kit. As has been mentioned in other posts, the problem with these is that they're designed such that they actually "breath" in the hot air from the engine bay. Intake air temps reached 154F on mine once when I was idling through Orlando with an ambient temperature of 96F. Personally, I think you'll see similar gains by buying a Spectre or K&N replacement air filter and installing the gotts mod on the stock intake assembly.
I'm disappointed with superchips as well...i might switch to something else as well

Awbarrett1001

Reaction score
ChrisOlFdoc- that is ingenius! Lol. I never thought of doing that.
The CAI seems to be hit and miss when I see most people talk about them, but I've never had anything bad come from them. I have one on my Stang, it increases the MPG for sure. I just put a CAI on the X today, cheapest I could find to buy, a POS aluminum one paid 30 bucks off eBay and drove around town for about 30-40 min and seen about 2 MPG difference.

A good piece of advice though-get one either way. If your wanting better MPG pair it with other air intake parts like a throttle body, exhaust and tune. You'll see noticeable gains in MPG, as long as you keep your foot off the gas long enough to see them. Lol.