Cold Start Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew9147

Reaction score
At the first start of each day, there is a loud noise that occurs and last just a few seconds. There are no fault codes set or dash lights illuminated. All warm starts thereafter are not accompanied with this noise. Anyone know what is causing this noise?

OP
OP
A

Andrew9147

Reaction score
Difficult to describe; loud, short duration, occurs only during cold engine start. Sounds something like something nonmetallic vibrating.

dougherp

Reaction score
Try and record it with your phone, and upload - then maybe someone can help.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,
welcome to the site. What year is your rig and how many miles do you have on it? Knowing both and having a video might help us come up with a place to start looking. These engines can have many such noises as they are fairly complicated and have a lot of moving parts as compared to older engine types.
It may be as simple as dry starts because you have an oil filter draining back every time you shut it off or could be the start of bigger more costly problems. Something rattling on start up can surely be an oiling problem. Get us the information and a video

good luck
Gary

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Immediately after starting, our 2014 makes a woosh / thud type noise (I believe those are the technical terms). Almost like something is engaging, though it's still in park. Its always done it, and my 06 made the exact same noise. I've always ignored it, because the dealer gave the usual "they all do that" when I asked about it years ago.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found that on mine, it was the A/C compressor kicking in. Since climate control is automated, it typically kicks in a couple of seconds after startup. To test, manually turn the climate control completely off and start the vehicle.

ssmock

Reaction score
Noise drove me nuts after getting my 2014 Limited with 23K miles. Dealer said oil in compressor draining overnight caused the noise (rattling or gear mesh like noise) on cold start. I didn't believe Ford engineers would purposely have a $58K vehicle make this noise on a cold start. Others here confirmed what was going on. If you make sure the AC auto is turned off at night it wont make the noise after sitting overnight, at least mine didn't. After starting if you immediately turn on AC it will make a little noise but let it warm up some before turning on AC there is no noise at all. Some say its because with compressor sits so low on this engine and For decided not to fix or couldn't fix the issue. Others say it's Ford just ignoring the issue. I've gotten used to it now, I guess it would be best for the compressor if the auto AC was shutoff every night if one could remember to do that.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Noise drove me nuts after getting my 2014 Limited with 23K miles. Dealer said oil in compressor draining overnight caused the noise (rattling or gear mesh like noise) on cold start. I didn't believe Ford engineers would purposely have a $58K vehicle make this noise on a cold start. Others here confirmed what was going on. If you make sure the AC auto is turned off at night it wont make the noise after sitting overnight, at least mine didn't. After starting if you immediately turn on AC it will make a little noise but let it warm up some before turning on AC there is no noise at all. Some say its because with compressor sits so low on this engine and For decided not to fix or couldn't fix the issue. Others say it's Ford just ignoring the issue. I've gotten used to it now, I guess it would be best for the compressor if the auto AC was shutoff every night if one could remember to do that.

The noise you're referring to (and perhaps the one the OP is referring to?) is the Compressor Anti-Slugging Strategy (CASS). For whatever reason, I have yet to find a Ford tech that even knows what that is, but it's in the Ford service manual for the Expedition:

Liquid refrigerant may accumulate in the A/C compressor under certain conditions. To alleviate damage to the A/C compressor, Compressor Anti-Slugging Strategy (CASS) is utilized.

CASS is initiated only under specific conditions:

• Ignition is off for more than 8 hours
  • Ambient temperature is above -4°C (25°F)
  • Battery voltage is above 8.5 volts during engine cranking
When these conditions are present, the PCM will activate the A/C control relay prior to cranking of the engine. The A/C control relay engages the A/C compressor for approximately 4-15 A/C compressor revolutions or a maximum of 2 seconds (depending upon vehicle application), allowing the liquid refrigerant to be pushed from the A/C compressor. CASS is initiated by the PCM regardless of the HVAC system settings.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found that on mine, it was the A/C compressor kicking in. Since climate control is automated, it typically kicks in a couple of seconds after startup. To test, manually turn the climate control completely off and start the vehicle.

Confirmed! Turning the A/C off eliminates the noise. Easy fix, thanks!