Control arm issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allan E Joyner

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea if the F150 upper control arm for a 2-4 inch lift would work on a expedition. I'm finding nothing out there. I ordered new struts and spring online and the company sent me 4 wheel drive struts. I also got a 3/2'5 lift. Now I have 5 in the front because the new front struts were 2 inches taller with a 3-inch lift. and 2.5 in the back. my control arms point straight down...lol cant find spindles either. is there extensions for ball joints...do I make em and weld some on?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which struts did you use?

Also, afaik the accepted logic is that 5" strut tower (strut/spacer) lifts are considered excessive for that very reason you ran into, and people who go past 3" do the rest as body lift

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of your front spring/shock assembly? Not sure a taller shock/strut would push the front end up like that... I would think it would just compress under the weight of the vehicle. The spring determines the ride height (excluding any sort of lift), right?

The reason I ask for a picture is because someone else had similar problems and in looking at the pictures he posted noticed he had his lower spring support installed upside down.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of your front spring/shock assembly? Not sure a taller shock/strut would push the front end up like that... I would think it would just compress under the weight of the vehicle. The spring determines the ride height (excluding any sort of lift), right?

The reason I ask for a picture is because someone else had similar problems and in looking at the pictures he posted noticed he had his lower spring support installed upside down.

Lift struts and strut spacers exist. His problem is he's using BOTH

This dude is TRYING to get a 5" lift... but hes doing it all at the struts, so his suspension geometry is all out of shape

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score

This dude is TRYING to get a 5" lift... but hes doing it all at the struts, so his suspension geometry is all out of shape

Yes, that makes sense... I just wanted to be sure because he mentions getting struts and springs... not coilovers. If I compare my old and new shocks/struts they could be seen as being taller but they didn't add any additional height... however, if you inadvertently get the spring seat put on upside down, now you just added several inches of unintended height.

upload_2018-1-5_0-13-36.png

OP
OP
Allan E Joyner

Allan E Joyner

Reaction score

Was not trying to get 5 just ended up with 5 because they sent me a packaged strut and spring assembly for a 4 wheel drive when I only have a 2 wheel drive. I only figured that out after it was all put together. Considering I'm running into issues and I gained 2 inches from the struts and springs I'm thinking of removing the spacer. I still have room for my 305s. This pic is with stock tires

20171229_172540.jpg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah prolly ditch the spacer

Btw, is the 4x4 strut really taller??? Or did you order Rancho coilover assemblies, cuz those DO have a builtin lift, but that aint about 4x4 vs 2wd its just an intentional product feature

CP11EXP

Reaction score
Was not trying to get 5 just ended up with 5 because they sent me a packaged strut and spring assembly for a 4 wheel drive when I only have a 2 wheel drive. I only figured that out after it was all put together. Considering I'm running into issues and I gained 2 inches from the struts and springs I'm thinking of removing the spacer. I still have room for my 305s. This pic is with stock tires

What is the negative effect of the suspension as it sits now? Is the UCA hitting the strut during normal driving?

What is the part number of the struts you actually installed? It may be a happy mistake and you can swap that 3” spacer for a 1.5” and get a total of 3.5” of lift that may reduce the negative effects of being at 5” while still giving the clearance and look desired.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the color scheme on your Expy... :). Wish mine was a newer model, I'm getting up there in miles.

+1 on the ditching of the spacer.

DSC_8412.JPG