Converting 08 Air ride to spring/strut question/concerns.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

valenrandy

Reaction score
Hello all,

Ive searched and read several of the threads here and I think I am decided on doing the swap but I need some confirmations based on your experiences.

First off I have an 08 EL with 4WD. I noticed a while back that over bumps that back would really bounce. If I was on a long sweeping turn at speed and I hit a decent pot hole the expedition would get really squirrely on me. Almost like a jump and side to side wallow if that's a thing? Also, I recently went on a short 4 day cruise and when I returned I noticed the back end squatting a bit to where both rear fenders were at the same height of the top of the tires. Within a minute of turning the truck on, the compressor cut on and up they went. So now I started to consider if both rear bags had a leak or if the solenoids were releasing air or if maybe our hot/cold weather had to do with the deflation?

Regardless, Initially I wanted to keep the bags but after reading of the issues users were experiencing and considering my ride is almost 10 years old the other components may soon start to fail as well.

After a bit of research I think I'm going to get the following:

REAR:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_FORD_yid1_pid168_gid815.html

It looks pricey but it includes an adapter to silence the air suspension notifications on the dash.
Is this a good set for the rear? If there are any opinions it would be appreciated.

FRONT:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2008,expedition,5.4l+v8,1440071,suspension,strut,7584
MOTORCRAFT ASH24738 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part NumbersASH12313, ASH12318, ASH12320, ASH24737, ASH24739} Info
FitsFront; 4WD; 131.0" Wheelbase; Must Order 2- W520217-S441, 2- W712134-S440, 6- W712334-S442, 2- W712682-S439; w/ Rear Load Leveling Suspension
OrFront; 4WD; 131.0" Wheelbase; Must Order 2- W520217-S441, 2- W712134-S440, 6- W712334-S442, 2- W712682-S439; w/ Electronic Stability Control; w/ Standard Suspension

There are actually several choices to choose from but these seem to fit my application. If you have a better recommendation I am all ears. I believe the springs currently up front should still be good even if they have 180K miles on them, they looks very heavy duty lol.

I am also considering placing spacers for a bit of a lift while I do this. 3in up front and 2in or maybe 2.5in in the back.

I really like the level look but I am concerned If I load up the family and a couple of suitcases in the back if it will look like its rear is sagging? If this really is a non issue per your experiences than the 2in spacer in the rear would do.

I have yet to decide on what spacers to buy.

Any input would be appreciated with regards to this setup I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks.

OP
OP
V

valenrandy

Reaction score
Also, would their be a significant decrease in ride quality in going with this new suspension setup vs a repaired leveled air rear?

How much does the 3/2 lift spacers affect ride or handling?

Thanks again.

OP
OP
V

valenrandy

Reaction score
Just checking in,

As a test I turned off the air suspension since last week and the rear has not sagged at all (7 days)

Any comments appreciated :happy107: