Coolant around spark plugs coil packs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
What could be causing this? Could smell coolant faintly this afternoon with heat running in cabin but didnt think much of it. Looked tonight just for ***** and grins and seen that I have coolant around the left side looking at front of truck on battery side. Is it an easy fix or did i get screwed!? Just bought it 7 days ago. 2010 expedition 5.4 with 153,334. Help please. If this is in the wrong area please relocate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
Update. There is a "T" piece above the most foreward passanger side spark plug that has a dripping coolant and has been filling the plug holes. Anyone know how hard that is to change/price? TIA

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not that tough. If dealer item is still available buy that one. As long as your belly isn't like mine, and you have a step stool/ ladder, you'll be fine. Be sure to burp system of air when replacing coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. If you dont mind me asking what is the easiest way to burp the system on these expeditions? TIA

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The other way is to park it facing uphill on a fairly steep grade, if you live near one. If not do like Doc said, and jack it up, put on stands high, I like to leave fill tank cap off, squeeze upper hose a few times when coolant is warm. Also run your heater on high, to get coolant circulated and air purged.

Hawaiianbasshead

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My T should be here tomorrow, I've been waiting on my T and Y hoses from amazon was about 120 for the pair, both Motorcraft. My plug wells were as full as they could hold fluid..

20170126_121706.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
To clean out all that coolant I taped a straw to the end of my shop vac and sucked out all the wells really good. Worked pretty slick for something simple. Best of luck!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PVC pipe and a few adapters are great to have around for sucking up fluids, junk. Some vacuums even come with small adapters. I like the Mcgyver way you did it !