Coolant temperature sensor location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
s9601694

s9601694

Reaction score
See if you can find a 2 wire connector in that area

This it what the manual has to say about getting to the CHT sensor

Removal and Installation

Remove the intake manifold. For additional information, refer to Section 303-01 .

Disconnect the Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) sensor electrical connector.

Remove the CHT sensor and discard.

To install, tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

Coat the new CHT sensor threads with high temperature nickel anti-seize lubricant prior to installation.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

If the wife does take it to the shop Make sure she asks them to let her know where it is located

So does this mean that the coolant sensor and the cylinder head sensor are the same thing? That's confusing because I found two different parts on Ford parts!?

And she's just dropped it off. I'll make sure she asks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They both mount into the coolant and ford tends to confuse everyone

The information I got was from the wiring diagrams and They did not show a coolant sensor only a Cyl. Head Sensor The workshop manual shows it as a Cyl. Head Temp Sensor and located in the right hand side

Just my opinion from reading the Removal and Installation section is that it is under the intake manifold
I may be wrong BUT if that is correct then you better get to the bank and make a loan for the labor to replace a $50-$75 part.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like one of those jobs where you wait until you have to do work on something else in that area and then tack this job on too.

OP
OP
s9601694

s9601694

Reaction score
That looks like one of those jobs where you wait until you have to do work on something else in that area and then tack this job on too.

Wife told me that they're diagnosing the problem now and will give us a quote. I told her if it is the sensor that I'd do it myself if they're going to charge an arm and a leg.

OP
OP
s9601694

s9601694

Reaction score
Wife told me that they're diagnosing the problem now and will give us a quote. I told her if it is the sensor that I'd do it myself if they're going to charge an arm and a leg.

And yeah, I'll see what else I can replace while in in there!

OP
OP
s9601694

s9601694

Reaction score
Well this took kind of a turn..

They did a full diagnostics on it and there were no error messages. He explained that if the sensor(s) or thermostat were faulty that there would be some sort of code.. They suspect that one or more of the heater hoses leaks at a certain temperature:

diagnostics.PNG

They want $561 plus fees/taxes/etc to replace those..

quote.PNG

I told him no thank you..

I guess i'll be returning a coolant sensor and buying a few heater hose assemblies....

ANY TIPS AND TRICKS ARE VERY WELCOME! :D

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Well this took kind of a turn..

They did a full diagnostics on it and there were no error messages. He explained that if the sensor(s) or thermostat were faulty that there would be some sort of code.. They suspect that one or more of the heater hoses leaks at a certain temperature:

View attachment 21060

They want $561 plus fees/taxes/etc to replace those..

View attachment 21061

I told him no thank you..

I guess i'll be returning a coolant sensor and buying a few heater hose assemblies....

ANY TIPS AND TRICKS ARE VERY WELCOME! :D
I just did the heater hose shown with the T. Cost like $80 for the parts and was a 10 minute swap. Unfortunately I dont have the part number available

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk