coolant under manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed a small pool of coolant on the top of my intake manifold between the #1 and #5 cylinders.

Does this mean I have a leak in the intake manifold? if so, what does that usually cost to fix?

boozaro

Reaction score
Hi- No expert here but I had a similar problem with my 04. But I was getting coolant back by 3 & 4. It was a crack in one of the vacuum line fittings. Since your Expedition is older like mine, those lines get brittle and crack. Mine leaked and eventually was causing a code for a faulty ignition coil. It was basically drowning.

Not sure if this helps, but it's not a major repair, so hopefully it's the problem you're having. If not, best of luck.

Scott

OP
OP
eluther3

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi- No expert here but I had a similar problem with my 04. But I was getting coolant back by 3 & 4. It was a crack in one of the vacuum line fittings. Since your Expedition is older like mine, those lines get brittle and crack. Mine leaked and eventually was causing a code for a faulty ignition coil. It was basically drowning.

Not sure if this helps, but it's not a major repair, so hopefully it's the problem you're having. If not, best of luck.

Scott
Interesting! I'm currently showing a P0175 code - running rich on bank 2. Wonder if that's connected?

Lifesavr65

Reaction score
Mine just crapped out about 2 months ago. Didnt have time to do the job myself so it cost me $900 at a independent in Jackson, Tn. That included OEM manifold, thermostat, radiator flush, oil change, and labor... So far runs great.

Misfit

Reaction score
$900, they took you real good. That sucks.

I had this same problem last winter, went outside, cranked the truck to let it warm up, came outside 15 mins later, steam all over the place, a river of coolant across the parking lot.. popped the hood, and the whole intake valley was full of coolant, and running out the back flowing down the trans etc to the ground.. Ended up being a cracked intake at the part where plastic and metal meet. Got a new dorman intake from summit for like $150, went on rock auto, ordered a new motorcraft t-stat, belt, bunch of other little things..just made it one big project. Went ahead and did plugs and coils since they are so easy to get to with the intake and all off. I think the whole job, I spent like $350. Did it myself in a day and a half in our apartment parking lot, freezing my ass off in early january..lol

Really not that hard of a job. plenty of videos on youtube on it. I could have done it much faster if it wasn't so cold and i could feel my hands and wasn't taking breaks to go inside and warm up so much.

Tank_Snake

Reaction score
I had the same problem. 132. Bucks of Amazon and some elbow grease and the truck runs perfect now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the same job on my F250 w/ 5.4 lil more room but strait forward. The dorman intake is way better then OE. When I did it because intake was off did knock sensor due to mileage so didn’t have to re do later. Replaced injector kits ( O ring-caps ) new boots w/ coil wire, plus, cleaned throttle body. Lil extra work about 1 full day better spend a little more time because easy once that far into it. Did same on my 2001 f250 superduty super specs curb weight 300 lb lighter 4r100 w/ 3.73 gearing. Got 18mpg on freeway going 75 with bed full of stuff and small trailer.

Guess just trying to say do a little more so you don’t have to take it back off latter to get to where you were just at.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed a small pool of coolant on the top of my intake manifold between the #1 and #5 cylinders.

Does this mean I have a leak in the intake manifold? if so, what does that usually cost to fix?

Passenger side? "Heater pipes" aka thick rubber coolant hoses. Verrrrry prone to cracking.