Cooling System Issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DomiFan

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Expedition 2wd 4.6L. While letting it run in the driveway, it overheated. Started with the likely culprit and replaced the thermostat. Then it wasn't getting heat, so I got some of the air out of the system and the heat returned. One of the issues I'm seeing is that the top hose going into the radiator is cold, and there doesn't seem to be enough coolant in the hose either. The coolant in the overflow tank is hot. That leads me to believe there is more air in the system. Also, the hose begins to collapse while under throttle....
What am I missing as far as why, when at operating temp, the top hose is cold? Bad thermostat?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steve

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Seems your new thermostat is stuck closed. If it worked normal your hose gets hot even if you have air trapped.

expo dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like the radiator could be clogged as well if that upper hose isnt getting coolant and is cold after running i would look at the radiator as well

expo dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
another idea for over heating would be the fins on the water pump are damaged causing it not to push water correctly with in the system had that problem on mine as well