Could this be the cause or contributing factor to my misfire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lately when I start my truck after it's sat a while, I get a very pronounced pinging/knocking. Once warmed up it's quiet. It's the least noticeable when standing in front of the truck at the grill, so I don't think it's timing or phasers. But it's most noticeable on passenger side just behind the front tire.

I have a video but can't upload it to here for some reason. It doesn't sound like a deep knock. A little more high pitched but has a definite steady rhythm to it. One thing I'm wondering about are the VCTs.

I also have my doubts it's a leaking manifold bc it doesn't sound like an exhaust leak at all. There's no additional deep engine noise. Just the pinging/knocking.

LEOL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would be surprised how often exhaust manifold leaks are misdiagnosed as timing or valvetrain issues. An exhaust leak (especially on a 5.4) will generally be audibly pronounced through the wheel wells... Unfortunately this motor does have multiple common issues that all produce very similar sounds... under similar conditions, so im not saying that yours is definitely an exhaust leak, as there are a various other issues that could be the culprit of your described problem... some fairly easy, and some more in depth repair... but an exhaust leak is a pretty simple thing to check before you dig into other diagnostic procedures (or give it to a mechanic to diagnose) so thats a pretty good place to start. Please be sure to post the solution to your knock/noise, it could help others in the same boat down the road.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please always state what year, and if two or four wheel drive. We've stated how to use a stethoscope or long thin screwdriver and carefully run along valve covers. Second generations have oil pump problems. Improper lubrication can lead to rear cam followers and valve lifter/ adjusters to fail. The lash lifter can stick in their bore, not allowing the valve to open and close proper. Try the screwdriver trick, works pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Trucker14

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2006 4wd. I don't see how the 4wd matters to an engine issue, but okay. I'm going to replace the spark plugs first. Then I'll tend to what ever might be causing this pinging.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LEOL and Moose have given very good responses and both good places to start. While changing your plugs may be a good idea its not likely going to stop your noise. The guys have identified 2 very common problems with Ford Modular engines. And yes I also agree with Moose, identify your year, engine and running gear. That helps us help you identify your problem. Every generation has its quirks and giving us that information helps.

I have only been dinking with this site a few weeks, you and I joined about the same time and what Moose ask for, and people not following up on what the end result of their repair was is my biggest frustration.

This Forum is the best I have been on, I have yet to see these guys blast someone because they don't agree with them, etc. I pulled up the member's background section, very, very smart guys who do very difficult jobs.

Good luck on your rig.
Gary

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trucker, the four wheel drive part doesn't matter in your situation. I thought about after I wrote it, I guess it's old habit, seems like I along with the others are trying to help with drive ability problems a lot. Yeah your year unfortunately is one of the troubled ones. I hope your fix is simple, let us know where you narrow the noise down to. Then hopefully you can fix your problem.

OP
OP
Trucker14

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LEOL and Moose have given very good responses and both good places to start. While changing your plugs may be a good idea its not likely going to stop your noise. The guys have identified 2 very common problems with Ford Modular engines. And yes I also agree with Moose, identify your year, engine and running gear. That helps us help you identify your problem. Every generation has its quirks and giving us that information helps.

I have only been dinking with this site a few weeks, you and I joined about the same time and what Moose ask for, and people not following up on what the end result of their repair was is my biggest frustration.

This Forum is the best I have been on, I have yet to see these guys blast someone because they don't agree with them, etc. I pulled up the member's background section, very, very smart guys who do very difficult jobs.

Good luck on your rig.
Gary
Well changing my plugs fixed my misfire. It runs like a new truck.

I figured out the noise. It has an exhaust leak behind the passenger cat. Very mild. But I'm going to get it to a muffler shop and get that fixed up.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you took care of your problem. Definitely take care of the leaking Exaust, as it will make your SUV run lean. Running lean is never good for an engine, as the leaner fuel mixture can cause damage to the engine if bad enough, and left unchecked. Just curious did you change the boots from coils to plugs also, or just plugs?

LEOL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cool, glad to hear when things get fixed., and one of the things i think moose may be leading to with his last question is... regardless of whether you replaced the boots or not, make sure you use a little dielectric grease in/on them, these coils are known for moisture/arcing problems, which can cause more fun stuffs to deal with.