Crank, Delayed Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I've never heard of this problem, Its not the key, they key doesn't have a battery in it along side the chip, I have an unchipped key I use to open my doors as a spare if I ever lock keys in, I've never been able to start the car with it.

It sound like there's a blockage somewhere delaying the operation, it doesn't have to be a completely failed part but on its last leg. If I was in your position I really would lean heavily toward the fuel delivery system (fuel pump or fuel sending unit, possible fuel filter or a blockage in the fuel line near its connection area) my testing if it was me who's having this problem is I would take out the fuel filter and disconnect the fuel line just before reaching the fuel injectors, I then would shoot compressed air in the line from one end and see if I'm exiting with the same pressure on the other end.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check power distribution to the pcm when the key is first turned to run. There are 3-4 power feeds to it, also check the pcm diode with your meter to make sure it hasn't shorted closed in both directions.

OP
OP

44Steel

Reaction score
Do you have the operational procedures for checking the Power feeds to the PCM? I am assuming I would need to disconnect the battery (first), then disconnect the PCM. Then reconnect the battery and check the feeds to the pins on the connection for the PCM????
I cannot believe this is happening. I actually got it to start three different times. I test drove it to get a cycle for the systems. I check the systems with my Bosch OBDII and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Still no codes. If you have the procedural steps or list of steps on checking the PCM, I would greatly appreciate it. I am baffled by this whole thing. I could not even get the Ford Dealership to give me a printout of the Diagnostics they ran even after paying for it... They claim they do not have that capability... RIGHT?

OP
OP

44Steel

Reaction score
There is no blockage. New filter, lines are clear, and pump shows 44 PSI at the rail.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know I asked you this before about a remote start system. Have you ever looked at the key cylinder to see if any type of device has been attached.. I ask this because my 01 gave me problems starting and even after I removed the remote system I still had problems A ford part counter person give me the answer and sure enough there was a small magnet looking object attached to the ign cylinder once I removed it I never had the problem again This may not be your problem but at least worth checking You will have to remove the shroud around the Ign cylinder to check

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The time out you were speaking of would be due to an non-programmed key being used which would cause the theft light to flash quickly. Since you have stated the theft light is rapidly flashing that probably isn't the problem.

I've started gathering the pcm diag info and will need an email address to send it to.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
After the Email stamp sends you, if it doesn't work I strongly recommend taking your car to ford, park it, shut it off, tell the sevice tech to hook up the scanner to it and have him try to start it, the scanner will immediately tell him what is going on and what's causing the delay, he'll have a sure answer for you in seconds. This usually costs an est. $100 per hour labor but they won't need a full hour to figure out something electronically right from the start.

OP
OP

44Steel

Reaction score
I only see the PATS system ring and wiring. There are two pieces located around the cylinder: 1) going to the halo around the cylinder (org, blk, lt blue, and wht wires) and 2) a little black piece (larger blk/pink wire).
My email is [email protected]

Attachments

• Ignition key cylinder.jpg
    Ignition key cylinder.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: