Cross country travel w/ trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKcamper

Reaction score
I do not have a specific question just looking for some perspective before we head out on our journey. I want to make sure I take in the appropriate considerations before embarking on our journey.

We have traveled with our trailer up to 400ish miles one way in Alaska with no problems. We are about to embark on a 3200 mile journey down to the lower 48 and want to take our trailer with us.

My trailer is 20ft 6500lb max weight (we will probably be around 5K). Our Expedition is a 2014 XLT stock.

We will only be making this grand trek once so I am not looking to rebuild the vehicle. But what are some things to consider to ensure the safety of the family and equipment.

Currently I have:
E rated tires (necessary for interior AK roads)
Digital/'pressure sensing' break controller
Weight distribution hitch
Trailer will have new tires and greased axels before we head out

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Other than paying the gas bill, you should have no problem. Sounds like you will be doing all of the maintenance items. Just take it easy, and check you rig often on the way. Might be a good idea to join AAA or similar that offers coverage for truck and trailer.
brick

OP
OP
AKcamper

AKcamper

Reaction score
Thanks Brick, I am confident everything will be fine. Certainly once we are out of Canada there will be a huge sense of relief. I will shop around and talk to my insurance company to see where we stand in case of trouble.

Splinter80

Reaction score
When I went long distance with my trailer I had a transmission fluid and oil change at the furthest point as a precaution.

Have fun

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Consider a wireless TPMS kit for trailer tires. Mine uses these valve stem cap transmitters and the wireless receiver/display unit plugs into your cigarette lighter, so its portable/removable between your trailers and tow vehicles. ACCutire brand, I paid about $100 on amazon or ebay, but here it is for less than half, happy new year:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCUTIRE-Au...ash=item4d51407e7b:g:~5oAAOSw44BYZQ7t&vxp=mtr

I'm diligent in checking my tire pressure regularly and well versed in load distribution, having pulled a lot of trailers many miles over the years. Some time ago I had a Goodyear Marathon ST trailer tire give up (tandem/rear/passenger side, probably D-rated 8 ply) and I didn't feel a single thing while pulling my empty open car hauler. I happened to see a small chunk of gator go airborne and just as I was pulling onto the shoulder it started to really let go, then I could feel it. I wish I had TPMS then, even if it saved me only 5 seconds. I'll tell you this, there is nothing cheap about a Featherlight aluminum fender. And experienced aluminum welders, when you can find one, they charge a premium too.

Trailer TPMS in my opinion needs to become more common place. Every person I've ever talked to that had a trailer tire blow out always says "I just checked the tires a few miles back". Ford now has wireless trailer TPMS option on Super Duties that puts the real-time trailer tire pressure on the dash. Airstream has offered TPMS for about 10 years now, I'm sure other trailer manufactures do as well.

briangelc

Reaction score
Flush ATF before you go. Oil change to Mobil 1. DEI coolant additive will reduce engine temps, and since the factory tranny cooler runs through the radiator, it will help with the tranny too.
I like using my Scangauge II to monitor ATF and H20 Temps. High temps are what really break down your ATF - not necessarily the raw weight of what is being towed, although increased weight eventually leads to increased heat.
If you are climbing a mountain, and the ATF temp goes above 250 deg F, you will know to pull over. Running over 260 deg can quickly break down the fluid. Plus, the Scangauge can help monitor fuel economy and diagnose trouble codes if the check engine light pops up.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The trucking industry requires each driver to perform a pre and post trip inspection of their truck and trailer. It wouldn't hurt to get into that habit. Check the fluids, tires and wheels, lights, brakes etc. before heading out each day and at the end of the day.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 3500 lb TT with my 2014 Expy which has a full tow package. Handles mountain climbs (Wash/Oregon Cascades) just fine with hardly an uptick in temp. I lube my trailer bearings each season, watch tire inflation carefully. Check the DOT date on your tires...most agree 5 years replacement regardless of tread remaining. Also most tires are rated to 65 mph, so watch the lead foot. Glad you have WDH.