Register to remove these ads

cylinder 2 misfire....code P0302

Discussion in '1st Gen - 1997 - 2002' started by JTKustoms, Jul 31, 2011.

1. JTKustoms

JTKustoms Full Access Members

hey guys, i have a 98 5.4 expo and today while driving on the highway i noticed my CEL flashing at me so i got off the next exit and while accelerating i felt a shaking/vibration. I pulled into the first parking lot i could find and sat there to see how it was idling, the flashing CEL stopped and turned off but the truck was idling pretty rough so i decided to head home. It seemed to cruise fine/normal on the highway but it has a very noticeable shake and inconsistent power while accelerating or at idle. brought it by autozone and it is a P0302 code which is a misfire on cylinder 2. Just wanted to see if any of you guys have had any similar issues and what ended up being the problem. thanks

2. 2000eb

2000eb Full Access Members

how many miles and have your plugs and coil packs been replaced. it may be a coil. or it may make you play the game. the game is when you replace one coil then clear the code just to have your cel come back on and tell you its another cylinder. thats when its about time to replace all your plugs and cops

3. Thermo

Thermo technical advisor

JT, take a look at the top of #2 COP. Do you see a crack in the clear top (probably show up as a white squiggly line)? If yes, replace the coil and see what the truck drives like then. Odds are, that is your issue. Had similar problems with my truck and every time it was a COP.

4. panda24619

panda24619 Full Access Members

agree with thermo. everytime it was a cop. last time it was #4. my heater hose was dripping coolant on to it. so ford patched the hose and replaced the cop.

5. JTKustoms

JTKustoms Full Access Members

thanks for the help guys, ended up being the cop on cylinder 2, so im replacing that as well as all the plugs since i realized today that the last time the plugs were changed was over 70,000 miles ago

6. nhowes

nhowes New Member

hello friends i have a 99 4.6 expedition. every time it rains or it is moist outside the trucks runs rough. i checked it with a code reader and i get a p 302 missfire on cyl #2 code. i replaced both coil packs and plugs and wires but i still get the same prob when it rains. once it drys out it runs smooth. What is getting moisture in it to cause this prob. Please help if anyone has had this prob!!!

7. walnuts4x4

walnuts4x4 Supporting Member Supporting Member

could be the wire connection to the coil possibly? or a bad boot on the coil

8. elliottp

elliottp Active Member

I recently had the same problem...I just got the car, went for a long drive and when I accelerated very fast.... gugunk gugunk gugunk!!! CEL flashed, went away, flash went away.Took it to the Ford dealer to check the light and they said #4 cylinder missfiring. Of course they say replace all coils and plugs for their obsurd price of $500. After the dealer it runs worse!!!!!!!!!! I come here to this forum and peers immediatly responded, thanks to all those that did, I go and inspect the coil myself, and the S.O.B's left my coil practically in pieces and unbolted!!! So I replaced the coil and runs perfect!
    My advice to all, NEVER go to the dealer, instead come here. I used to work for motorcycle dealers and dealers are ALL the same. They just want to bend you over backwards and stick it in you till it comes out your mouth.

9. Cesar

Cesar New Member

[Cesar] Im also having the same problem po302 misfire ...my truck is a 97 same engine 5.4 I want to fix it my self but not really sure I know how...but if someone could tell me which side is cylinder 2 is located it ...I would really appreciate it ..

10. 215Expedition

215Expedition Full Access Members

Had the same issue, make sure water did not get into the spark plug hole.