Dash lights going crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhokanson

Reaction score
Driving my 2007 Expedition EL yesterday and all of my dash warning lights started going crazy. They were flashing off and on, the tach and speedometer were randomly engaging and disengaging. I stopped driving, turned off the ignition, and the car would not start. I pushed it forward about 20 feet to get it safely away from the road, and it started up again. The lights continued to flash but I made it home. After it restarted it also seemed like the transmission was not downshifting as it typically does, it was over 3000 rpm at 55 mph.
Any ideas where to start?
Thanks

OP
OP
M

mhokanson

Reaction score
I'll do that, thanks. Btw, the battery was always strong during this process. Lights were bright, stereo would work, and when it did turn over it was very strong.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotcha, so hopefully you'll find a loose or corroded cable end when pulling the battery. While at the parts store ask if they can test the alternator with it still installed or if they only bench test. Best of luck.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my old '97 did this (twice) and it was the alternator.
all other charging system items checked satisfactorily.
hope you figure it out.