Day of the 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, according to my calendar, today is 5.4

Just wanted to give a respectful nod to the revered (though sometimes hated) 5.4L Ford Triton V8 engine.

I have two. An 06 F150 and an 08 Expedition. Both with over 150k on them. I certainly have no complaint with how they've held up.

UncleDJ

Reaction score
Fairly new to the forum, but a bit of research is making me a fan of my 5.4. I've been ragged on for considering myself an "old school" 5.4 fan, but that's ok. I'm happy that others are pleased with their fancy schmancy newfangled motors....and I mean that....I'm pleased that they're pleased, but I'm likin' the 5.4, and if it holds up like it's reputation suggests it will.....It'll be a long love affair.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, the '99 5.4 was a stellar engine other than the head weep on the drivers side/rear

The '03 5.4 though, with its head gasket leaks and very sketchy electronics(caused by water leaks) makes me LOVE the new engine.....just my experience.

jeff

Last edited:

fordexpylvr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 07 expy with a 5.4 81K mi and have had issues with engine lights caused by misfires leading to coils, spark plugs and fuel injectors. A couple of the replacement coils had to be replaced as well as a couple plugs that had ribbon marks on them. I started adding 44k fuel injector cleaner but seems like after I did that’s when I would get a misfire.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2007 is at 164,000 miles and runs great. The only time I had a misfire was when I hosed down the engine I wrecked a coil.

Last edited:

fordexpylvr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That gives me encouragement from you. Mine looks good and I have replaced a lot so probably goin to keep her. Runs good right now plus I don’t wanna borrow 40 to 45k for a 17 low mi one.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wouldn't it had been nice to have a 485 hp option from Ford? That's what you need to haul 5800pounds down the road. Oh yeah and Brembo brakes optional for whoa to all that go. An 8k bump in price, but hey you've got 5 years to pay it off. Imagine the grins on the kiddies faces, when pop hits the gas! Not to mention what they tell their friends at school on Monday morning!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk