Day of the 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was some guy here with >500k on his 5.4 expedition

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And there's usually at least one 5.4 Gator being sold online with ~400k by some limo company.... that's usually how far transpo companies run their fullsize American trucks

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Love my 5.4L 2 valve with 5sp tow/haul trans in my 08 E350 utility van. It’s got 4:10 gears, 95,000 mi.and weighs 9500 Lbs. It does have piston slap only during warm up, which started between 20-30 thousand miles, but runs strong and never gets a break from hauling a heavy load. It also tows my dump trailer with my skid loader in it which weighs about 9k lbs together. I hope my 3.5 EB treats me as good.I sure love the power and torque that the “ little engine that could”puts out. My brother and I are considering replacing his work truck (7.3 powerstoke) with a new 3.5 Ecoboost Transit Van at the end of the year. That will be a good test for that little engine in a work truck that gets no break or love, just work work work!

limitedex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya know, lots of people told me to hold out for the next Gen Expedition in 2013 when I was looking for the wife and family. I realize it’s an underpowered boat, but shoot fire does the reputation hold true so far! I too believe the 5.4 is a fine motor.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to work for a cab company a few years back. We had a fleet of Ford crown Vic's, and a few Mercury equivalents. They all had 4.6 motors, and we'd run them till 350k, when we had to legally pull them from service. It was rare when a motor didn't run the distance. Keep in mind our so-called mechanics didn't change oil/filter like they were supposed to. Severe duty recommendation is 5k or less. About the only things that failed were radiators, and fan switches for cooling. We had 5-6 transmissions ready to r&r at a moments ready, but being a taxi, and driving San Francisco hills that's not bad. Same thing for the 2 Lincoln town cars we had in the black car biz. The 2008 blew the plastic intake, the 2001 nothing! My 2000 Eddie Bauer has so far been bullet proof at 99k now.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk