Decisions (GM vs Ford)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have owned a Suburban/Yukon XL since 1994. Now looking at 2018 Denali XL vs Expedition Platnum. Now don't jump on me but finally feel the Ford is worthy competitor with this gen

As an Automotive supplier Expy Plat. vs Denali in like for like configuration both sticker for approx. 80k.

Denali with rebates and special supplier discount I qualify for is 75k all in. Can only get X plan on the Ford so price is approx. 80k all in (in Michigan with 6% sales tax)

My current 2007 Denali XL with 89k mile on auto trader average price is $17k in the whole USA, 2007 Expy long under 150k miles average price is about $12k.

Sorry but I like cars and I do the math, Expy about $5K more up front and currently less resale value. Advantage i see of the Ford

IRS (better full flat floor with all seats down)
Modern interior
most have the 2nd row bench which I like all Denali are captains chairs (bench is better IMO)
Love the Panorama sun roof
2nd row room
in either I will remove the third row seat (should be an option)

Denali Advantages
6.2 is stone cold reliable and can fix with a hammer and adjustable wrench
Aluminum Ford still 100 lbs heavier
Lower up front cost and what appears to be better resale
Load leveling, I put enduro bikes on a hitch mount carrier
32 gallon tank vs 28 (range is more important than fuel economy for me)

Both have the Ford Designed 10 Speed

Which way to go?

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been GM forever too, but after driving them both multiple times, I went with the Expedition. It honestly wasn't even close after I took emotion out of it.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tough decision and one I wrestled with myself just recently. Almost bought a Yukon XL with a sticker price right at $79K. Good rebates and additional dealer discounts, I was looking at about $75K out the door price on the GMC after adding maintenance plan and warranty.

On the Ford side of the equation was the Expedition Max Limited with sticker price at high $78K. In actuality, sticker price was $280 less than the Yukon. Ford only offering $1K rebate and dealerships not willing to budge much on prices because optimally configured Limited and Platinum models are like unicorns at the moment.

I chose the Expedition for a couple reasons. First off, I have experience with both GM’s V8 and Ford’s V6 EcoBoost. I really like what Ford has done with this engine. This is somewhat subjective, but I found acceleration and overall sense of power between the two very similar. The Ford handled better in my test drives and rides nicer — even though they both have essentially the same magnetic dampening suspension. There are times the Ford seemed to rock or bob side to side a bit more than the Yukon, but even with that I still felt the overall ride was smoother. The Expedition just seemed more nimble and maneuverable. The interior on both my Limited and the Denali series Yukon XL were pretty similar. Ford defaults to the 2nd row bench with the captains chairs as options as they usually do. GM goes the other way with 2nd row captains chairs as default and the bench as the option. The Expedition has more torque and this is apparent with a load. I’ve seen reports that the Expedition squats more with a trailer, but I have not seen proper direct comparisons yet and the Yukon with the MagRide Suspension is not going to fare any better than the Ford here as it essentially has the exact same suspension under it. The comparisons I’ve seen that claim this compare the Yukon with load leveling vs. the Expedition Platinum with CCD — two different animals. They should at least compare MagRide vs. CCD. The Ford does not have load leveling as an option if you feel you need it. Unfortunately. In that regard, you would probably be best to buy the XLT or Limited with the 301A package group and add load leveling capability as an aftermarket solution. The family much preferred the Expedition for that big ol sunroof and they thought the seats were more comfortable. Have to say I agree. Better leg room in the Expedition as well, especially for that 2nd row and with two tall teenage kids as well as me often hauling other adults, this was also a big concern.

I would recommend you give both a good test drive. Climb around in them, try everything out, take your time. In the end, I got a better deal than anticipated on my Max Limited 4x4 with HD Tow package, 302A package and 2nd row bucket seats. Still ended up $3500 more than what I would’ve spent on the Yukon. But it took me weeks of deciding while hunting down a properly configured Expedition to make sure I made the right decision (for me, and the family).

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All
For me the choice is obvious
The turbo engine will have a more power, especially at high altitude
If recalibrated with software from Livernois or other suppliers it will have a lot more power
The extra power has been proven to offer exceptional performance with no degradation of driveline durability or life
Hennessy offers a 3 year warranty with their changes which produce 600hp & if driven normally no reduction of fuel mileage
That is easily worth another $4-5K to me

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Consumer Reports scores the Expedition 65, Yukon 53, Yukon XL 49. The Denali is supposed to be better than the Yukon XL, though. I went with the XLT, which has all the bells and whistles (not many) than I need. Not interested in the sunroof, I prefer a more solid structure and more headroom. Under $59K out the door.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you like math, did you consider financing/opportunity costs? GM is usually offering 0% interest for 60 or even 72mo and Ford is offering worse rates than most credit unions. Even if you’re planning to pay cash, if you go with the Denali, you could take the financing and keep your money invested someplace while you slowly pay off the loan. The forgone investment income would be the opportunity cost associated with buying the Ford with cash vs taking the Denali and the 0% financing.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All

If recalibrated with software from Livernois or other suppliers it will have a lot more power
The extra power has been proven to offer exceptional performance with no degradation of driveline durability or life

Since LMS has not come out with any tuner kits for the next gen 3.5, I assume you are referring to present products which LMS themselves have stated that on the 1st gen 3.5 at about the 420HP level of tune, which is approx 55 above stock, they were seeing failures in the lower end and head bolts.

jeff

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You sound like you're road tripping and not towing anything or looking for a trail head car*. With that in mind and in no particular order:
1. The Ford's adaptive cruise control is full start/stop and is supposed to be usable in stop and go traffic. I think GMs disengages at low speeds "Includes Front Automatic Braking to help slow your vehicle..." There's nothing in there about actually stopping the vehicle.
2. The Yukon XL Denali *is* available with a 2nd row bench, but they're nigh impossible to find unless you special order.
3. Speaking of things that are hard to find, have you actually tried to find a Max Platinum? I just checked Ford's website: there's one available within 100 miles of Seattle. You can always order one, but it might be a little bit more of a wait than ordering a Denali with the 2nd row bench.
4. The Denali is common enough and distinct enough that people know exactly what's behind them when that grille fills up their rearview mirror. And people seem to respond by moving out of the way. The Ford is new and may or may not have that kind of presence.
5. The Platinum also gives you the fancy "parallel park itself" thing...

*If you're doing either of those, there are additional reasons to consider the Ford over the Denali...

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since LMS has not come out with any tuner kits for the next gen 3.5, I assume you are referring to present products which LMS themselves have stated that on the 1st gen 3.5 at about the 420HP level of tune, which is approx 55 above stock, they were seeing failures in the lower end and head bolts.

jeff
Jeff
Hennessy has a 600hp tune available that includes new exhaust etc for the gen 2 3.5ECO
Livernois also offers tune for the gen 2 F150 & that is the same engine used in the EXPY
Here is a link to the 600hp calibration from Hennessy
http://hennesseyperformance.com/hennessey-builds-2018-lincoln-navigator-with-600-hp/

Here is an email reply from them
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2018 2:39pm
To: [email protected]
Subject: 2018 Navi upgrades

Good morning
Regarding the Mods to the 2018 Lincoln NAVI
We have a silly argument going on here
Your website states that you updated the Existing ECU in the Navi with new software
Someone here is arguing that you replaced the ECU completely
Can you please clarify & explain why
Also do you plan to offer this package for the 2018 Ford Expedition
I am not fond of the front (grille) of the NAVI & prefer the looks of the expedition
May be interested in your upgrades if they are also available for the EXPY
Thanks in advance

Greetings Michael,

We use the factory ECU

We can do the upgrades on the expedition or the Navigator.

Let me know which one you end up getting. No wrong choice there.

Looking forward to the build!

Alex
file:///C:/Users/mjlkw/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.Outlook/VORATEGM/Hennessey_Lincoln_Navigator_2018.pdf

Michael Wolfe

Livernois also has the GEN 2 tunes & upgrades available
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631149

Last edited: