Decisions (GM vs Ford)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since LMS has not come out with any tuner kits for the next gen 3.5, I assume you are referring to present products which LMS themselves have stated that on the 1st gen 3.5 at about the 420HP level of tune, which is approx 55 above stock, they were seeing failures in the lower end and head bolts.

jeff
Jef
BTW
I have owned several 3.5L ecoboost vehicles
Have always used the LMS calibrations & have never had any problems
Drove my 2011 F150 for 150k miles with no problems
Towed trailers with it etc
Have never heard of anyone experiencing issues like that
Please show me where this issue is listed
BTW
LMS shows 430+ wheel hp on the GEN 2 engine
That equates to about 550 crankshaft HP with no engine mods, just a recalibration of the ECU

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You sound like you're road tripping and not towing anything or looking for a trail head car*. With that in mind and in no particular order:
1. The Ford's adaptive cruise control is full start/stop and is supposed to be usable in stop and go traffic. I think GMs disengages at low speeds "Includes Front Automatic Braking to help slow your vehicle..." There's nothing in there about actually stopping the vehicle.
2. The Yukon XL Denali *is* available with a 2nd row bench, but they're nigh impossible to find unless you special order.
3. Speaking of things that are hard to find, have you actually tried to find a Max Platinum? I just checked Ford's website: there's one available within 100 miles of Seattle. You can always order one, but it might be a little bit more of a wait than ordering a Denali with the 2nd row bench.
4. The Denali is common enough and distinct enough that people know exactly what's behind them when that grille fills up their rearview mirror. And people seem to respond by moving out of the way. The Ford is new and may or may not have that kind of presence.
5. The Platinum also gives you the fancy "parallel park itself" thing...

*If you're doing either of those, there are additional reasons to consider the Ford over the Denali...

Why would someone move "out of the way" because of the grill on your vehicle? More importantly, why would that impact the decision you make on which vehicle to purchase? If you're driving close enough to "fill up" someone's rear view mirror, I think it's more likely they're going to slow down.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All
For me the choice is obvious
The turbo engine will have a more power, especially at high altitude
If recalibrated with software from Livernois or other suppliers it will have a lot more power
The extra power has been proven to offer exceptional performance with no degradation of driveline durability or life
Hennessy offers a 3 year warranty with their changes which produce 600hp & if driven normally no reduction of fuel mileage
That is easily worth another $4-5K to me

This statement is absolutely insane lol, I have no words. If running at this output had no side effects on mileage or longevity I’m pretty sure ford would do it LOL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok Original poster here. Test drove a XLT, Non Max today. Must say really liked it. sure the Max + CDC will enhance the ride. This one had the tow package, but could not find the Tow/Haul button on approx. 30 mile test drive. Nursed if for the most part to get a constant MPG at 75, go around 21 MPH, If this one had the tow package at 80, was turning approx. 2100 RPM. Really like the manual mode for the AT, in that you can lock in in 10th and will not shift under most all conditions,,, the GM is simply a range limit,, select 8 and you get only the first 8 gears.

On the city streets wide open throttle shifts were at approx. 5000 rpm that seemed low, engine was fully warm and had approx. 250 miles on it, again tow haul if I could have found it may have affected the shift points.

If I can find lost relative I can get A plan and the delta to Denali XL will be only about $3k. FYI, I live in the Detroit area and Bob Seeger (rock and roller) was in there in his Dodge Demon looking to pick up a Expy Platnum Max

Paul

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This statement is absolutely insane lol, I have no words. If running at this output had no side effects on mileage or longevity I’m pretty sure ford would do it LOL.
Well ford has done it with the GT engine
That is with the same block & heads & I am pretty sure the same head gaskets
Probably the same crankshaft also
The full spec sheet for the FordGT is finally out, and the newest American supercar will have a top speed of 216 mph thanks to 647 hp at 6,250 rpm and 550 lb-ft of torque at 5,900 rpm.
Hennessy offers a 3 year 36k warranty on their units that are reprogrammed for 600hp
So why do you find it so hard to believe
If you are familiar with the engines design it is not at all unbelievable
This fall when I trade my 2016 Explorer Sport for a new expy platinum It will be reprogrammed within a few hours after I get home with it
I have no concerns with the long term reliability of driveline or the engine either
So if you still feel those changes will significantly shorten engine life I guess you & I must agree to disagree
Have a HAPPY EASTER

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok Original poster here. Test drove a XLT, Non Max today. Must say really liked it. sure the Max + CDC will enhance the ride. This one had the tow package, but could not find the Tow/Haul button on approx. 30 mile test drive. Nursed if for the most part to get a constant MPG at 75, go around 21 MPH, If this one had the tow package at 80, was turning approx. 2100 RPM. Really like the manual mode for the AT, in that you can lock in in 10th and will not shift under most all conditions,,, the GM is simply a range limit,, select 8 and you get only the first 8 gears.

On the city streets wide open throttle shifts were at approx. 5000 rpm that seemed low, engine was fully warm and had approx. 250 miles on it, again tow haul if I could have found it may have affected the shift points.

If I can find lost relative I can get A plan and the delta to Denali XL will be only about $3k. FYI, I live in the Detroit area and Bob Seeger (rock and roller) was in there in his Dodge Demon looking to pick up a Expy Platnum Max

Paul

Theres a button to choose the drive modes, tow/haul mode is one of the choices. The salesman shouldve told you that lol. Btw, i prefer my expy over my dads escalade in every category. The gm nav is better i guess lol and the wireless chargeris in a better spot but wrks betteron the expy.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The gm... wireless charge ris in a better spot
No, it's not. The awesome thing about the Expedition's wireless charger location is that it's within the driver's line of sight and angled so the driver can see the phone's display. The GM's wireless charger spot is in the middle of the armrest on the center console lid.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me its better because i use my bt alot so if i wanna charge, its next to my arm in the gms. Woth my truck i have to reach for it when i needit.

OP
OP
P

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me its better because i use my bt alot so if i wanna charge, its next to my arm in the gms. Woth my truck i have to reach for it when i needit.

While I do not have the wireless charger in my Yukon, many times I forget my phone in in the center slot on top of the GMC console, I open the console looking for something any my phone is jettisoned to back seat. Yukon console is much larger than the Ford however

OP
OP
P

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI my brother sent his track hawk to livernois for a bit of modification

This is his truck GC Trackhawk

Last edited: