Decisions (GM vs Ford)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry topic of livernois engineering was brought up above more than once, but the trackhawk is impressive on several levels. And frankly speaking knowing the trackhawk rather well this gives me more confidence in Livernois capabilities

And why do you compare the ram pickup with self leveling a ford SUV. Every one knows the new ram DT as well as the former DS uses coil spring 5 link suspension analogues to what GM does on thier SUV’. Compared to the leaf springs on the pickup variants at GM

The ram has an optional 4 corner air suspension, compared to the rear air shocks on the GM, and surely not to be cofused with the self contained Nivomats. Also the ford uses 4 corners CDC dampers in liu of the delphi MR adjustable dampers in the GM’s both frankly achieve the same result but with different technology

Last edited:

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, the Denali looks better on the outside. It looks mean, serious, and ready for business. The Expy looks like a high end luxury SUV, a family hauler, and a very nice one.

Also, the Denali has a magnificent exhaust note that is hard to beat.

Other than that, everything else is better on the Expy. The utility, the ride, the interior room, the sunroof, the comfortable seats, the technology....

All things being equal from a price perspective, in 2018 my vote goes to the Expy. Who knows what the next redesign of the GM trucks will bring. Hopefully they catch up and even surpass the competition, thus raising the bar even higher for Ford. And I’m sure Ford will not disappoint. Competition is a great thing! The vehicles keep getting better and we consumers benefit.

(And don’t even bring up the Navigator! There is nothing in any category than can beat a Black Label Navigator. And the “lower” trim Navigators beat everything even remotely in their class.). Man that’s a nice ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

firstford

Reaction score
I have driven GM SUVs since 1992. Just traded in 2015 Yukon XL Denali for 2018 Expedition MAX platinum. I have no complaints with the GM products. But the new Expedition just had more to offer. I do feel that the Denali is more recognizable on the road. But to compare the two ,the Ford I feel ,has a better ride. The Denali more power from the V8 when you really get on it. The Denali controls are more basic and easer to use. But the Sync3 at this point can do more. I feel it going to take me a little time to get use-to Ford from years of driving GM. After a month I am happy with my decision to switch to the Ford. You are going to have to search on line to find a platinum MAX with the second row bench. I was looking and could not find one on a dealer lot, they all had captain chairs. I would have liked the bench but can live with the captain chairs. Good Luck on your search.
IMG_4347.JPG IMG_4352.JPG

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I was at the local Ford dealer on 4/16. They had a brand new, left over 2015 pearl white "platinum". It had a $8000 rebate. The salesman said they were looking to move it. 3 months later, it was still sitting there.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Car and Driver recently compared the top 5 biggest SUVs. They reviewed things like interior, capabilities, handling, towing, etc. For 2018, the Expedition is king based off the most winning categories. If you're absolutely serious, check out the magazine rack before the next issue comes out.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It must be in their magazine because its not online yet, they did a ranking of the fs trucks and rated it mid pack after the gms and the mb gls

OP
OP
P

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks "Firstford" you beat me by two years, have had a Suburban/XL since 1994. I tend to find many more Expy;s with the Bench, the vs the GM's in Denali/Slade trim a bench is non existent.

Basically looking for a White Platnum Max with tow pack
It must be in their magazine because its not online yet, they did a ranking of the fs trucks and rated it mid pack after the gms and the mb gls

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-ford-expedition-expedition-max-in-depth-model-review

OP
OP
P

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: I take my car buying seriously. As stated have had a Suburban/Yukon XL since 1994. Went to look at a very low mileage/good price CPO 2017 Denali XL with the wife for a test drive. We both commented it road harsh and just felt dated on the inside. By chance next door was a Ford Dealer and wanted to show her an EXPY if they had one. Only one was the owner of the dealership daily driver. We took it out for a similar drive, no comparison in the refinement of the ride, isolation etc on southern Michigan's poor roads. Found a black Expy Platinum Max +Tow Package in transit to a dealer out of state. Two quick phone calls and have it tagged for me.

Will comment that I sold my 2007 Denali XL for a very nice price, compared to what dealers were offering me. They GM's have been great to me over the years hopping the same for the Ford.