Decisions (GM vs Ford)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hennessey Performance sucks ass. Please do your due diligence before giving that crook any of your money. A simple search will show you multiple examples of that guys ****** builds and him scamming people out of their money.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

New towing MPG war from TFL, the 6.2L L86 V8 was more efficient.

Last edited:

hunter991

Reaction score
I own a Tahoe and did look at the new Expy before ordering. I have no emotion either way and can hopefully be unbiased as they come. Both good SUV's. I ended up with a 2017 Tahoe Premier (brand new) because it was CHEAPER and looked WAY better. The 5.3 v8 is solid, and i think by now the Eco is also solid. I also noticed lots of alum trucks losing their paint. I think Ford solved this but i am not sure. Another thing is, Ford was first year in the Gen3. I try NOT to buy anything first year as i have been burned in the past. Seem's there are some recalls already. I got self leveling with my Tahoe, and the Expy i looked at didn't have it. Probably could be added but IMO it should be there already. If you watch the vid above the ford squats when towing. I hate that more than anything.

I have owned a number of F150's and this is my first GM. I like them all. But i did have significant issues with my last F150 that caused me to look at GM for my next car. I don't think you could go wrong either way. Both are expensive, both are pretty nice.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to drive my expy and my dads escalade back to back. 2015 with 18k on the dash. Stills old, great truck and many things i like about it. Before with my nav, though i preferred it, there were many things about the esc that i liked over it. However, now, i can't rele say theres anything over my expy i can say i like. I do wish though that i either got a plat or a 302a pkg for the camera and led lights(im certain conditions, the ccd) but everything else not so much. The esc is still a nice piece, but i wouldnt buy it new.

Dscustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see a lot of people talking about the big gm. I sold my 2016 Yukon Denali to get the new expedition, it’s so much better! Even with less rated power, it’s more useable, drives better, more comfortable, handles better, and gets better mpg in real world driving. I do wish I got the led lights but I couldn’t find one with them back in January. Installed led replacement bulbs and it’s almost the same. I mostly miss the neat drls, and I can’t understand why those aren’t standard on all of them.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand did u get for the led bulbsand for how much? Did u take it to a shop for install? Thats my next project once we get back from vacation.

Dscustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whatever was highly rated on amazon. I installed them myself, noticed that people seem to think you have to disassemble the truck to swap bulbs, just unbolt the splash guards in the fender wells, don’t have to go around the bottom or up at the top of the wheel. You can stuff your arm in there and get the headlights and fogs. Also, the owners manual on mine had the wrong bulbs listed for all of them.

These are the actual bulbs in my truck.

H8 FOG LIGHTS stock 35w

h9 65w lower HIGH BEAM headlight bulbs

hb3 60w 9005 LOW BEAM top headlight bulb

Headlights and fog lights are so much better now!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did u need a module to prevent the flicker

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jef
BTW
I have owned several 3.5L ecoboost vehicles
Have always used the LMS calibrations & have never had any problems
Drove my 2011 F150 for 150k miles with no problems
Towed trailers with it etc
Have never heard of anyone experiencing issues like that
Please show me where this issue is listed
BTW
LMS shows 430+ wheel hp on the GEN 2 engine
That equates to about 550 crankshaft HP with no engine mods, just a recalibration of the ECU

Sure Mike,

That you infer that 600HP (whether CHP or BHP) is somehow do-able on these engines w/o affecting reliability is certainly disturbing...considering you are ignoring how many years of Engineering Best Practices?

Jeff

DIRECTLY FROM LMS:

"Recently we've had the question come up a couple of times of whether or not upgraded rods and pistons are necessary for the 3.5L Ecoboost, here are a couple of photos of an engine that was sent to us for upgrading after suffering a failure. This was a rather high output engine with tune, turbos, etc. As the pictures show, there is a power limit to what the stock parts will handle before failure.

From examining the pistons, rings and bearings there are no signs of this failure being related to detonation or fuel. At power levels above 400WHP you start to get into a territory where the parts are near their outer limits, Beyond 450WHP you get into the territory where it's just a matter of when, not if, the stock rods and pistons will have a failure, because of this a piston and rod upgrade become practically a necessity in order to avoid eventual catastrophic engine failure. Again, while you could probably get away with running the stock bottom end near the 450WHP level, it's only a matter of time before the parts will catastrophically fail."

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/liver...st-engine-build-upgraded-rods-pistons-259823/

and

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7334.0.html